Thread: Air Compressor Recommendations Please

Air Compressor Recommendations Please

I currently have a Paasche D220R connected to my GCC Spirit GX 60W. This is the second one where the bearing has failed and it is tinking around making a horrible noise. Any recommendations for quite compressors, this is in a classroom. We cut mostly Masonite, mdf, BB ply and 1/8 acrylic.

Thanks for helping

Jeff
    Last edited by Jeff Wilkins; 03-20-2014 at 8:20 AM.
    60W GCC Spirit GX
    Inventor 2011
    Corel Draw x5
    Indiana

Blog Entries
    Jeff,

Would 2 CFM be enough for you? 60dB for noise. Pretty quiet as these things go. This is a unit I use on a rotary engraver that is essentially a 400,000rpm dental drill. Keep in mind I am not yet a laser owner so I have not tried to use this on a laser.

Dave
    900x600 80watt EFR Tube laser from Liaocheng Ray Fine Tech LTD. Also a 900x600 2.5kw spindle CNC from Ray Fine. And my main tool, a well used and loved Jet 1642 Woodlathe with an outboard toolrest that helps me work from 36 inch diameters down to reallllllly tiny stuff.

Airbrush compressors don't have 100% duty cycles.

Try Bambi, Clarke Sshhh or Titans, not cheap but quiet and last forever, always look for the FAD figure not the CFM, it's Free Air Delivery that matters.

cheers

Dave
    You did what !

If you want a good one, suggest you try to find you a used Gast (brand). I found a heck of a deal on one on Ebay not long ago. I won't go into detail but I bought a $800.00 compressor for $100.00 (it needed some work on it that I got the Gast authorized repair depot to do) and now I have a great machine for a small amount of money. Just be careful because Gast has so many models it can get confusing. Those air brush compressors are OK, but they are hard to regulate and the ones I've had in the past worked but I never was sure how well. When the last one died, I decided to go with a real compressor. If you call Gast, tell them what your specs are, they will give you some help. There are numerous ones on Ebay now and I did a quick look. This one is similar to the one I have
    Last edited by Mike Null; 03-20-2014 at 11:57 AM. Reason: link to ebay
    Epilog Legend EXT36-40watt, Corel X4, Canon iPF8000 44" printer,Photoshop CS6, Ioline plotter, Hotronix Swinger Heat Press, Ricoh GX e3300 Sublimation

Blog Entries
    Hey Dave!

That particular compressor is at least sold specifically for use with a rotary engraver, which when you are using it is nearly 100% use. Or at least for as long as you can stand the sound of a dental drill. <grin> I have used it for hours solidly with no issues. Mine is about 7 years old. That being said, it does not get used for 8 hours or more non stop.

Larry, I do have a Ghast vacuum pump that is a work horse. Quiet and rock solid. Again, about 7 years old with lots of hours on it. At least for their vacuum pumps I like their products.

Dave
    900x600 80watt EFR Tube laser from Liaocheng Ray Fine Tech LTD. Also a 900x600 2.5kw spindle CNC from Ray Fine. And my main tool, a well used and loved Jet 1642 Woodlathe with an outboard toolrest that helps me work from 36 inch diameters down to reallllllly tiny stuff.

Jeff here is a system much like the one recommend by CGG not much more $$ than the air brush system you keep wearing out,

http://www.globalindustrial.com/p/pn...FVJffgodfR4A0g
    Mark
    In the Great Northwest!

Trotec Speedy C25, Newing-Hall 350 (AMC I & HPGL), NH-CG-30 (Carbide Cutter Sharpener)
    Sawgrass 400 Gel Ink Printer, CS5, 5/9/x6 CorelDraw

My first was also a Paasche and I wore out the bearing in 6 months, they are just not made to run 8-10 hours every day. Oddly enough, I have been using a cheaper compressor from Airbrush City now for about 7 years and it's been fine, but the last 5 years I don't run as much as I used to. Using a 'real" compressor is way too noisy unless you can keep it in a garage or shed and run a line to the shop.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

The Gast compressor I have is very quite. I have a couple of Porter Cable pancakes and they will jar your teeth, but not the Gast. Very happy with it. I have it regulated to 30psi for my Epilog but I ran it up to the max about 90 psi and ran my brad nailer with it on a cabinet I was making.
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Pelonio View Post
    My first was also a Paasche and I wore out the bearing in 6 months, they are just not made to run 8-10 hours every day. Oddly enough, I have been using a cheaper compressor from Airbrush City now for about 7 years and it's been fine, but the last 5 years I don't run as much as I used to. Using a 'real" compressor is way too noisy unless you can keep it in a garage or shed and run a line to the shop.
    Epilog Legend EXT36-40watt, Corel X4, Canon iPF8000 44" printer,Photoshop CS6, Ioline plotter, Hotronix Swinger Heat Press, Ricoh GX e3300 Sublimation