Thread: Foam PVC

Foam PVC

I've read the info that putting PCV in the laser is a very bad idea, but what I came across was in reference to PVC pipe. I've recently come across PVC foam and I'm assuming that it's the same stuff they use in the pipes and it be a bad idea to laser it?
    Shenhui G460 80W RECI
    LIAOCHENG RAY FINE RF-6040-90W RECI
    Corel X5 Technical Suite, Windows 7

If it says PVC in it, it's bad. Tube, foam, sheet, whatever.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Dangerous to the machine and potentially fatal to the user Walt. Without extraction rated for toxics / corrosives PVC of any kind as Scotty says is a nono.

cheers

Dave
    You did what !

That's what I figured, thanks for the conformation.
    Shenhui G460 80W RECI
    LIAOCHENG RAY FINE RF-6040-90W RECI
    Corel X5 Technical Suite, Windows 7

Avoid PVC foam and go for EVA foam............

When I first started taking notes on what materials worked for lasering, I wrote down a big "vinyl = NO".

Am I correct in thinking that PVC is a NO because the chloride in PVC forms chlorine gas, And

PVA, polyvinyl acetate, is OK to cut? We use PVA wood glues.

Thanks Marty

Yes - PVA is fine.
    Epilog Legend 32EX 60W

Precision Prototypes, Romsey, UK