Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What turning instruction would you find most helpful?

As a mediumly partially experienced turning hobby-izer (Done a few things dozens of times - but not hundreds - and there are a whole lot of things I have never started trying), the best things I have learned have been on proportion. John Keeton is the one who gave me a lot of personal advice by the Creek and by E-mail.

I would also like thorough instruction on one tool. Maybe the skew or the bowl gouge, spending time and showing grinds and positions and techniques and practicing them.

A third area is in more complex forms, how the parts are assembled together, how to move from paper to form with many parts.
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

Interesting thing about shapes. I can see bowl shapes easily, but on spindles, especially finials, I am blind. However, the latest cover of the AAW Magazine with the bowl full of finials was very good. Now I have to find time to deviate from normal turning to practice.

robo hippy

John,

I have only been turning for just over a year on a somewhat limited basis. What would be helpful to me is to see instruction on design, form, proportions, etc. Most importantly thought would be knowing how to determine what is wrong with the piece when I am finished. What I mean by that is I can usually tell something isn't right, but can't always determine what the problem is. For example; does the piece just sit on the table rather than flowing up from the table, is the curve right or is there a flat spot that breaks the flow, why does the piece look so clunky. Sometimes I can identify the problem but most of the time I'm not sure what is wrong. How you teach that I'm not sure.

Greg

John, I've watched a lot of the videos offered on You-Tube, and one of the best presenters in my opinion is Sam Angelo. He seems to explain things better then most, plus, he covers most if not all subjects, and he does it well. If you haven't checked his vids out, maybe you should just to experience how he goes about doing things.
    Len

Of the items John mentioned I think I would benefit most from design or form. I tend to borrow heavily from forms that I see here on the creek or in other sources. I don't copy in that I don't take a photo to the lathe. I tend to see something that I like and go to the lathe to make something similar. the point is I don't really know why I like it, or what design elements make it pleasing to the eye. I can follow the golden rule for proportion, and I like smooth curves, but other than that I don't design forms. I would see the instruction being a discussion of what makes a form pleasing to most people and how to carry those ideas into a design or plan that you can turn.

Before seeing this thread I posted a message about my experience at a recent week-long course that John taught. What I found by reading and could relate to about the comments here is the challenge of understanding form and proportion. Also tool presentation was very helpful at the beginning but after a few days at the course I became more comfortable will tool presentation and less anxious that I'd have a big catch. I learned to "commit to the cut" instead of being tentative and affraid of a BiG catch. Once I got past that I was better able to focus on form. What really brought both together for me was when I turned a finial (my first) for my hollow form. It also became obvious going forward that I need to draw-out the design to scale for both the bowl or hollow form before hand to use that as a guide since its hard to do that when the piece is already on the lathe. I'm not sure how a dvd tutorial can convey or show the basic elements of form and proportion that but it would be terrific.

One area I feel is also neglected is positioning the tool rest. It rotates on a x-y-z axis and so many turners either don't realize the rest is in a improper position. The rest is responsible for so many catches and tear out, or poorly cut wood. When positioned properly, one barly needs a second hand on the tool. When not right, we get white knuckled and try to force the tool to follows proper cut.
    Member Illiana Woodturners

For me, personally, I would be interested in a class that fine tunes my design abilities when it comes to hollow forms. While I am not an expert, I do consider myself advanced when it comes to what I turn. I feel I have a fairly good concept of form and have no problems hollowing or turning thin but would love to have someone - an actual expert - show/teach what can be done to improve my art and build upon what I have already accomplished. Like I said, that would be interest me.

Also, I have been active here on the Creek for a number of years and there has always been one constant when it comes to turners. When you take away all the tool/lathe/finishing questions, the number one problem turners face (even if they don't realize it...yet) is about form. What works, what doesn't and why. Many folks scream about the constant attaboys given out when it comes to the turnings being posted. Thing is, you have to base honest critique on the abilities of the person requesting the critique... and so, with new turners, all they need at the time is encouragement to continue - to get in more turning time and to develop their turning skills and their sense for form.

Once a person gets to the middle/intermediate level, then form starts to really become important. It still amazes me at how some folks can see form.. and others, no matter how much it is pointed out... can't see it. I think everyone would benefit from a course dealing with form; what works, what doesn't and why. Just my 2 cents...
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

If I had the time and the gas, I would drive my truck across the country just to listen John Keeton teach about form, if I had a truck!
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Bergstrom View Post
    One area I feel is also neglected is positioning the tool rest. It rotates on a x-y-z axis and so many turners either don't realize the rest is in a improper position. The rest is responsible for so many catches and tear out, or poorly cut wood. When positioned properly, one barly needs a second hand on the tool. When not right, we get white knuckled and try to force the tool to follows proper cut.
    Bob makes an excellent point and one that John emphasized time and time again in his class. As a relatively new turner its something I never really thought much about but it makes sense..especially when I worked on the finial.

Jacques Vesery demoed form and proportion at our club last year. Questions from the audience is huge. He could go into greater detail. Form an area that I always struggle with.
    "So much wood - So little time ! "
    Past President Western Mountain Woodturners
    Past President Maine Woodturners

[QUOTE]Once a person gets to the middle/intermediate level, then form starts to really become important. It still amazes me at how some folks can see form.. and others, no matter how much it is pointed out... can't see it. I think everyone would benefit from a course dealing with form; what works, what doesn't and why. Just my 2 cents...]

I agree in the beginning if I turned anything half decent It was a good day. As for shape and form it can be taught, its all about training the eye for detail, although some folks really struggle with it.
    In another life I carved and drew a great deal, so when turning came along, the transition and finding good forms flowed out of this experience and in this regard I have been fortunate.
    neil

The wooden Potter

John, you have started a really good thread....
    I see a trend here about dividing the turners level of experience and focusing on what is needed at each level.
    If a turner is petrified of touching his tools to the wood and getting catches each time he comes to the lathe, there is not much point in discussing design and forms...
    For the turners just starting out the teaching of how to use the tools (and tool rest) is very important. Once a comfort level is achieved with the basics of making cuts with a number of different tools (including the SKEW) then there will be interest in and a capability of absorbing the discussions of design.
    Well done John, and focusing on the intermediate turners is a great start.
    Peter F.

topics such as design, form, proportions, spindle turning, artistic vessels, pedestal/finial application (design, proportions),etc

Design is intriguing. I am different than others I see because I dont sketch out my plan, maybe because its still new to me, but I tend to design as I turn. Understanding some theories or consequences of free turning may help increase my variety

That above follows with form / proportions. I would love to try HFs but dont have the tools and would certainly want some help getting started. The form/proportions seem much more rewarding with HFs.

Funny it was mentioned being 'blind' to spindles, I get the vision of what I want, but rarely if ever it gets accomplished - nothing balances or stays in proper proportions except my snowmen at Christmas!

It would almost seem unfair for me (or someone like me) to show up and say TEACH ME! but until I narrow it down myself its hard to decide.

While I would agree with Steve Schlumpf regarding the need for form training, I also would like to be able to find training on embellishments such as inlay of metal leaf and changes in patina.
    When all is said and done--more is usually said than done.