Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Neander Chest-On-Chest Build-Part 6 - Drawers

Blog Entries

Neander Chest-On-Chest Build-Part 6 - Drawers

This is part 6 of a hand tool build of a cherry Chest-on-Chest from Glen Huey’s excellent book “Building Early American Furniture”.

Nothing fancy, just basic hand tool build pics. FWIW, brief description of some hand tool techniques in the hope they may be of interest to some of my fellow meanders. I’m certainly not an expert, this is what works for me after plenty of trial and lots of errors!

As described in previous posts the chest carcass is finished, moldings and split turnings applied. Now for building the drawers:

I start with dimensioning the drawer fronts to fit the “drawer pocket”. Reference off the bottom left corner of the drawer pocket for consistency – still end up trimming the wrong part of the drawer front on occasion, but at least it’s an attempt to keep the gap around the outside of the drawer decent.

I use a square/sliding bevel to measure the exact angle between the horizontal/vertical components of the drawer pocket (frequently not exactly 90°), then transfer that angle for marking the horizontal dimension of drawer fronts.

1.jpg

Here’s an oversized “Bench Hook” I use for finish cross cutting of components at the bench. Generally I prefer doing almost all my sawing at the saw bench, but this appliance raises the work piece so I can make accurate cross cuts with back saw to final dimensions.
    2.jpg

Seems like new project always created the need to build a new shop tool (does this happen to you?) – in this case a shooting board. On the right is my original shooting board; it is too heavy I (built out of MDF), the fence is fixed so that inevitably as I tilted the plane to less than 90° I shaved off the very end of the fence and started getting some tear out on the back edges of work pieces. Finally I used some high density/low friction plastic for the slider portion – worked okay, but not as consistently flat/stable as I’d like.
    3.jpg

On the left is the new shooting board: much lighter BB plywood construction and adjustable fence so I can slide it over as I shaved away the end grain, and finally an adjustable track to help hold the plane against the edge of the work piece. I highly recommend a track, regardless of what plane you use used for shooting. I bit the bullet and splurged on an LV shooting plane which I absolutely love! Not essential, but very fun.

4.jpg

Here’s all drawer fronts in the case; a light source behind makes it easier to see the gaps.
    5.jpg

I cut everything with hand saws (have an ancient 14” BS I use for resawing but it’s been broken for some time, have to eventually have to get around to fixing that…).

I am a huge fan of saw benches; for me the geometry, body position and set up makes everything about hand sawing easier. IMHO key SB elements are:

1) Weight/stability; I like a SB that’s heavy enough it absolutely won’t move even if I don’t have any body weight holding down the work piece.

2)
    Clamping; if you have sharp handsaw’s and want to cut quickly and efficiently I think it’s much easier to clamp the work piece, rather than rely on your body weight to hold it still, especially if you’re putting a little muscle into the job. I use a couple 4” hold fasts/holes in the Doug Fir bench top and a flip up stop for crosscutting.

3)
    Light: the number one reason I wander off the layout line is I’m too lazy to get sufficient light to clearly see the tooth line against the layout line. I clamp a light directly over the saw bench which made a big difference for me.

6.jpg

For crosscutting drawer components I saw a little bit fat of the layout line so I can shoot the end grain to the final dimension with a couple passes. A 12 PPI panel saw is ideal for smaller components like drawer sides/backs.

7.2.jpg7.5.jpg

Blog Entries
    I’m a big fan of the ruler stop for laying out repeated dimensions. My eyes aren’t so good, so I use a pencil to highlight the marking knife layout line.
    8.jpg

Here’s the tools I used to layout width and plane drawer sides to the same height. My next version of the panel gauge will have a longer fence for greater stability in marking the width of wider panels.
    9.jpg11.5.jpg10.jpg

One of the biggest timesavers for me is a shop built plane set up with wide mouth, cambered blade to take nice fat shavings and quickly get to rough dimensions.
    13.jpg

I try to measure as little as possible as I consistently screw up ruler use. A Post-it note on the bench light keeps dimensions handy for quick sizing up drawer components.
    14.jpg

Crosscutting some ½” popular for drawer bottoms and a gratuitous pic of a prized tool – my grandfather’s Disston #7, 10 PPI crosscut.
    7.jpg15.jpg

Blog Entries
    16.jpg

Final dimension/surfaced drawer components.
    17.jpg

I use the triangle marking system, but when building multiple drawers I always miss-match parts when it comes to cutting joinery – blue tape helps me keep things organized.
    18.jpg

Tools for laying out tails so I don’t have to measure. Using a chisel for laying out pin width is probably the single most helpful thing that has help me speed up my dovetailing.

19.jpg

For me, building drawers is a great exercise for making my dovetailing skills faster and more efficient. Drawer components are poplar and half blind DT in cherry drawer fronts will be covered with cock beading, so the fit doesn’t have to be perfect. One step I should never skip is marking the waste – opps I hate when this happens!
    20.jpg

The little red shops tool is a recent addition that really saves my back when chopping DT – highly recommended.

21.jpg

For sawing the outside shoulder of tails in casual work like it saves time to just saw to the line without marking/chiseling a “runway”.
    22.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    Here’s some pics of sawing/chopping half blind tale sockets. I do most of the chisel work with the work piece flat on the bench and put it upright in the face vice for final trimming. A little undercutting of the layout line helps me with a solid fit.
    23.jpg24.jpg25.jpg27.jpg30.jpg

Before assembly a little paring of the inside edge of tails eases assembly – probably cheating but I’m not that accurate anyway.
    28.jpg29.jpg31.jpg

Blog Entries
    After assembly, here’s the setup I use for trimming tails and pins I would own a bevel down Jack plane if only for this purpose.
    32.jpg

I really like two rows of dog holes/tail vise for surfacing glued up panels. I like to surface before final turning to dimension to trim off any spelching – two rows of dog holes helps in holding irregularly shaped work pieces.
    33.jpg

Here’s the trio planes I use for surfacing glued up panels;
    35.jpg

the cambered blade somewhere between a true scrub and at Jack plane used diagonally helps speed things up for me.
    34.jpg

Thin, poplar drawer bottoms required a little persuasion to stay flat until fitted in draw grooves.

36.jpg

Finally some pictures with most of the drawers done.
    37.jpg38.jpg39.jpg

Blog Entries
    42.jpg41.jpg

After our finish the remaining drawers, next step will be a little bit of carving for a shell on the top drawer and maybe some egg and dart dark molding to ease the abrupt transition from the upper chest to the waste molding, which is what happens when I do any kind of math – like scaling the original plans down by 15%.

Thanks for looking, Mike

FWIW, you now have to insert pics one at a time (probably means I'm doing it wrong?)

Mike, thanks for posting. I've really been enjoying watching this come together. Regarding your comments about your saw bench, if it isn't too much trouble, could you describe the rough dimensions and/or add an unobscured picture of the bench? It looks like it is made with a couple 2x10"-ish boards for the top and maybe even a little taller than normal. I've noticed I saw better when my knee is off the board as well. I haven't figured out if my saw bench height is off, or if I just have better sight or balance when both feet are on the floor.

Michael, I LOVE it. Thank you again for posting these threads. Peace, out dude. Patrick

Beautiful work, Mike. Also envious of all the sunshine in the background. It's been a long winter.

Jeff

Thank you Mike
    Looks like some real woodworking going on there.
    Nice cherry for the drawer fronts.
    Sharpening is Facetating.
    Good enough is good enough
    But
    Better is Better.

Mike, I'd also like more info on your saw bench. Looks wider and more stable than the ones I've seen (and used).

Oh yeah, and this is great work! I'd love to get good enough to build something like this.

Gaps? What gaps?
    I don't see any...

If I make a single drawer that slides all the way home, and doesn't spill the contents when opened -
    it's a good drawer. You've got what, a dozen drawers all inna same carcasse?

Show off.

I note two things in the article that I would to have more clarification about:

Is the shop made plane "fenced" on both sides, so it fits the same thickness each time?
    I also use a scrub plane to get down to depth, on occasion but have lately taken to using a drawknife.

Secondly - you're chopping lotsa little dovetails.
    How fare your wrist and elbow, on the mallet side?

I'm finding that chopping for any length of time aggravates mine
    to the point of needing an ice bag, afterwards.

I get my best fit this way, but Oy Gevalt!

Kudos for the quality you produce and the foresight to take pictures along the way.

Definitely bookmarking this thread and it's predecessor. Great work.

I'm getting bored of telling you how great your work is so I'm going to mix things up a bit here....

Mike, that is terrible, you have no taste, and your work is sloppy...also your tool collection leaves something to be desired...get some decent tools man! Those are junk!

(but i really think the opposite of this)
    Last edited by Chris Griggs; 03-21-2014 at 3:04 PM.
    Woodworking is terrific for keeping in shape, but it's also a deadly serious killing system...

Nice work, as always, Mike! I'll have to dig back for the old threads, I think I missed the last one. Did you make the the dentil molding on the case top? Was that a tablesaw/router thing, or handtools as well?
    " Be willing to make mistakes in your basements, garages, apartments and palaces. I have made many. Your first attempts may be poor. They will not be futile. " - M.S. Bickford, Mouldings In Practice