Thread: Just a rehab

Cool Just a rehab

Of a Victor #1104. Came in the mail looking a little ....scruffyIMAG0015.jpgspider nests and allIMAG0021.jpgNo projects to work on, kind of bored away. So, after a few hoursIMAG0015.jpgGot it cleaned up, got the parts there were supposed to be red, red. The iron took the longest to do. Instead of a hollow in the back, it was bulged back there. Took awhile to get it flat, and sharp. Might be alright, for the first finish plane, with a seond one to finish things off.IMAG0020.jpg this was the replace a Stanley Dunlap #4, that I used to get some rough stuff smooth. Hey, at least I had fun with it...

Very nice work. I have been really enjoying rehabing some old planes lately. Kind of a nice break from the usual wood projects.
    "When I got home, I drank six more glasses of whiskey and then I finished crafting this small harp, using a bandsaw, a spokeshave, and an oscillating spindle sander." - Ron Swanson

Well, I can get a see through shaving in the middle third of the iron. The two outside edges, only if I tilt one way or the other. Rechecked the sole, yep, straightedge shows at least one edge of the sole is higher than the middle. Looks like I'll be working on the sole some more. Otherwise, a decent enough, small smoother. Did "re-fresh" the finish on the handles. Seems I had a bit of 3in1 oil on the hands, and it got rubbed into the exposed wood. Looks good, almost like new. An "oil" finish???

Ok, so some more work on the sole is in order, not that bad a deal...

Looks good from here! Nothing wrong with your "oil" finish, either.
    Enjoy!
    Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

You are getting to be quite good at rehabbing these finds of yours. Congrats on the nice work!

Seems to work ...OkIMAG0023.jpgIMAG0022.jpgIMAG0021.jpg Yep. That shaving came from the edge of a 2x4x24" long board, shaving was full length of the board. And you can see through it. Might just have the original iron sharp enough?

Ok, the sole needed a bit of flattening, trying to get almost a full width shaving. Got out a 100 grit belt ( I bought the wrong size belt, had to use it someplace) and set things upIMAG0021.jpg a 12 x12 floor tile. The two battens to tighten the belt up. Slipped a few extra sheets of sandpaper under the belt. Marked the sole with a sharpieIMAG0022.jpgand went to work. Everything is clamped in place on the plane, the iron has been retracted enough to be out of the way. Stopped a few time to clear off the black dust ( and getting black stuff all over my hands) until the black lines were all goneIMAG0024.jpgor, at least good enough for the girls i go with. Eased the outside edges as well. Time to take a test driveIMAG0026.jpgHmm, maybe a wax on the sole to complete the job? Since this was all set up, went and worked over two other planes. A Dunlap #3DBB that had a LOT of pitting. Got most of it clean up, but not off. Doesn't seem to hurt anything. Plane number three? Another Dunlap #3, this one is "Special" It has a METRIC sized iron, and the plane is from West Germany, according to the stamp onthe iron. It also has a York pitch to the frog. Seemed to clean up nicelyIMAG0028.jpgwill have to take the iron out, and give it a good sharpening, though. Does have a few nicks. Now, all cleaned and polished upIMAG0025.jpg but, there seems to be a waiting listIMAG0027.jpg see anybody you know?? Hint: That RED one is an Ohio Tool Co. 05c.....There is also a Four Square Junior Jack sitting there.