Thread: Oak Burl

Oak Burl

Earlier this week I read on another forum there was an oak burl that was going to be removed on Friday. The poster, who lives in Ontario, said the burl was in Oklahoma and was wondering if anyone was interested. I PMed him and found that it was less than 100 miles from where I live. So on Friday morning I jumped in my truck and went for a ride. You can see from the pictures what followed me home.

IMG_4923.jpgIMG_4925.jpgIMG_4927.jpg

Some rides in the truck prove to be better than others
    Steve

2. You lucky dog, that looks like a treasure of highly figured wood.

Quite a haul. Are the ground pictures after unloading? How did you manage the loading/unloading? I have found several local tree removal crews happy to load my truck to avoid having to haul off wood. I can usually drag the wood off the truck, but the last Elm trunk must have been over 400# and I got a neighbor to help to avoid using a come-a-long.

Nice wood yeah. You guys try too hard. Tie it to a tree and put it in go. On one that big remove the tailgate before it does.
    Last edited by robert baccus; 03-22-2014 at 10:11 PM.

Nice burl. Congrats on the score. There is a lot of wood there.
    Thank you,

Rich Aldrich

65 miles SE of Steve Schlumpf.

"To a pessimist, the glass is half empty; to an optimist, the glass is half full; to an engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be." Unknown author

Congrats on getting it home, must have been quite a load for the pickup. The next problem is how and where to start the dissection. Good luck with that!

Nice score and I'm sure it will yield some gorgeous turnings but my back is starting to hurt just looking at it!

Save your chain saw chain and pressure wash it first. There should be a lot of cool wood in that thing.
    Do or do not, there is no try.

Dennis, I power washed it before I unloaded it. What a mess. I'm also going to power wash it again before I attack it with a chainsaw. I have several old blades that I will start with. I know that even with the power wash and trying to remove the rocks I will still have debris that will destroy my blades.
    Steve