Thread: Australian Burl ice cream scoop

Australian Burl ice cream scoop

There is a family birthday coming up (twin sisters, who live together) and I asked them what they wanted for their birthday. One wanted a back scratcher, the other wanted an ice cream scoop (they will share!)

Don't have the scratcher done yet, but got the scoop done. The particular wood is BROWN MALLEE burl. The 8" blank was $50, so this is not a piece that makes sense as anything but a gift.

It is the color of a swirled latte, with a hint of leopard skin tossed in for good measure!
    I taper the top so it does not get ice cream remnants stuck to the wood part, and I put in a smoke ring between each bead so they looked like it is individual rings stacked on top of each other. (kit from Woodcraft stores, $10-13, depending if on sale).

Sanded to 3000 grit (it did not need it!) and then one coat of LIN-SPEED gun stock oil, hand-rubbed finish.

BrownMalleeScoopW.jpg

Awesome scoop! Hope you plan on using it on only premium ice cream.

Enjoy Life...

Hi David,
    Beautiful scoop with a spectacular handle.
    I do not know what you mean by "a smoke ring between the beads"?
    well done.
    Peter F.

[QUOTE
    I do not know what you mean by "a smoke ring between the beads"?
    [/QUOTE]

Notice between the rings it is black? That is done by cranking up the speed, and then taking a thin wire (like piano wire) and forcibly holding it into the groove while it is turning. It creates a friction burn. You know that you have done it long enough when the wood is spinning and smoke is rising up out of the groove! 'SMOKE RING!'

Thanks David,
    I have only ever heard them referred to as burn rings... I did some of those today on a little Drop Spindle key ring I made.
    thanks
    Peter F.

Very nice and the " smokey " " burn " rings are perfect high light indeed!
    John 3:16