Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Makita angle grinders

I wonder how does the tool-free disk change system of Metabo compare to a standard disk change system of other manufacturers. It looks dead easy to use but is it as safe as any?

Depending on how many of those pieces you have to cut, it might not be necessary to buy an expensive one. I have several good ones-I like the Makita, but I have a bunch of the cheap 29 dollar ones from Walmart-Skil or Black and Decker.

I started using them as disposables for cutting flashing grooves in stone foundations for my waterproofing old foundation systems. It was going to be a too abrasive environment to put a good one in, and they lasted a lot longer than I expected. I ended up putting dedicated ones in the different shops on our farm. For instance, I have one just to sharpen bushog blades in the tractor shed, so I don't have to get one of the others out of the trailer or one of the shops.

The thin cutoff blades sold in Lowes and Home Depot will do your cutting just fine. I even use one of those blades to sharpen the teeth on holesaws since I can't get a file at the right angle.

A cheap toolbox to keep the grinder, spanner wrench, and different disks in is well worth a few bucks to keep it all quickly accessible.

For rough or dirty cutting, I'd get one of these even if you have a good one for other purposes.

3. People say Metabo is the best. In Europe they may not be that much more money than Makita or Bosch. Over here in the states Metabo is a bit pricey but for the grinders the quality is said to be excellent. Angle grinders have these gears that have to turn a corner and the gears are a point of failure.

My last two angle grinders have been Makita's, but I have a lot of experience with Milwaukee, DeWalt, and Metabo. I bought a second Makita because it is easy to grip one handed even with large welding gloves. The Metabo (and Fein) are a whole different animal in terms of quality but much more expensive here in the states.

I agree with the above recommendation for the 4.5"vs 7" grinder. A 7" is an excellent tool if you have a lot of grinding to do, but a 4.5" is much more versatile.

As as for paddle vs switch, after watching a iron worker shave off part of his lip and nose with a wire wheel in a split second I think any and all safety precautions when grinding should be observed.

If you're just doing hobbiest work cutting some occasional steel, I'd buy a cheap one and save my money for a tool I'd use more frequently.

I have a bunch of $40 Hitachi grinders and they all work fine for most tasks, especially cutting with a cutoff wheel. I keep one with a cutoff wheel, one with a grinding wheel, one for each grit of flap disc, and one with a wire cup brush. The wire brush is really the only application that could use more power.

I also have a 7", 15 amp grinder that I call "the widowmaker". That sucker comes out rarely and is usually attached to a twisted cup wheel -- very dangerous, but very effective.

I saw them today at the local store. Both Makita and Metabo are at the same exact price. You guys were right, the Metabo is a bit chunkier while the other one is easier to grip. They also differ in two other aspects: the Makita has a bigger handle which I like better and has superior RPM - 11 000 vs 7000 of the Metabo. I've asked the man to keep one Makita for me a couple of days, I think that will be my final choice.
    I'm also glad I found them locally at a good price, I was beginning to feel sorry for the local guys. I saw several other tools in their shop only to buy them later online at a better price.
    Last edited by Andrei Georgescu; 03-26-2014 at 5:32 AM. Reason: English past tense.

Take a look at the Metabo W 720-125, it's a 10,000 rpm unit.....like I said, many variations in the lineup.

http://www.metabo.com/Product-catalo...48dd6ed.0.html

Ed

I have a Harbor Freight special or two, a high power Dewalt, and the one that uses my Milwaukee M18 batteries. All run a cutoff disc or flap disc just as well. The Dewalt is better for heavy grinding or running a wire brush. The battery powered one is real handy for something quick or something I want to do outside but doesn't last long enough for constant use. The beauty of the HF ones is that you can afford to buy one for each type of disc and not have to swap discs all the time. Surely there are cheap ones available there.

I ended up buying the Makita 9565cv.
    Spent an hour or so watching videos and reading about angle grinder safety.
    It's time to cut those iron bars and weld that security grids for my shop.
    Thanks guys!