Thread: Pinless Moisture Meters $$$$$$$$

Pinless Moisture Meters $$$$$$$$

For about 15 years I've been using my Lignomat pin type meter, and it still seems to do a good job. However, I've been thinking about a pinless meter for use primarily in the shop with dressed lumber. But, have you seen the price on these units? As a hobbiest I can nowhere afford 400 bucks or more for the Wagner meters. So, my question is this: Any fellow creekers get a warm fuzzy with a less expensive pinless meter? Thanks.
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 03-27-2014 at 9:52 AM.

I was project managing a repair job for one of my customers. He had an ice dam and a burst drain/frozen faucet combo which led to several hundred gallons of water on the ceiling, walls, oak floors, etc. Everything was stripped and we turned off the humidifiers on the furnaces, put in fans, etc. When it came time to lay the floors, I had my 50.00 General pin model and the floor guy had his multi-hundred dollar pinless. Everyplace we checked, we got the same readings to within 1/2%. The pins on mine were so small and sharp that they didn't even leave a visible mark in the plywood. He remarked that when that one died, he'd be getting one like mine.

I have a Ligno Scanner D pinless that I really like. It theoretically measures 3/4" deep and is essential for my work. I don't remember how much I paid for it but think it was around $200 =/-. Fully reccomend it. The people at Lignomat (Portland, Or) are really nice and well versed. give them a call.

Blog Entries
    I've had the lower priced one (MCC 205) for years. IIRC, it cost about $200. I've never regretted the purchase.

The old saying works here, Buy a good tool and cry when you pay for it, buy a cheap tool and cry every time you use it.

I have both types, a Wagner MCC 210 and a Delmhorst J-2000X. The pinless is nice for use around the shop, but the pin meter with the hammer is much better for use at my kiln. To use the pinless meter, you must know the density (specific gravity) of the wood that you are testing. What is a bit aggravating is that the specific gravity of a board is not the same on all places on the board, so you can get different readings depending on where you take the reading.

With the J-2000X, you have to set the meter for the correct species and for the correct temperature. In the winter, I have to put the meter in the kiln for about 5 minutes so that the meter and pins all come to the same temp as in the kiln. It might be 28 degrees outside, but it might be 120 degrees in tghe kiln.

There is no instant pudding..........