Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Makita 2040 planer

I have a 2030 that has been a workhorse for 30+ years. I'll check if I still have the manual and see if I can glean anything that might assist you.

Loren,
    In my quest for information I ran across this. Gonna try it out

There are some top of the line penetrants. But still the best is acetone and automatic transmission fluid. Mixed half and half. It must be kept shook up when using or it separates. the acetone seems to be a fast penetrant and it carries the atf with it

Thanks Bill

Quote Originally Posted by ray schneider View Post
    Loren,
    In my quest for information I ran across this. Gonna try it out

There are some top of the line penetrants. But still the best is acetone and automatic transmission fluid. Mixed half and half. It must be kept shook up when using or it separates. the acetone seems to be a fast penetrant and it carries the atf with it
    You are on the right track. You just need to give the stuff enough time to work its magic. Patience is really the key here. I apply penetrating oil, wait a day and try to move the parts. No dice? More oil, wait another day. I've had cases where the parts wouldn't free-up for a week and I get distracted on another project, only to return a week or two later and the oil has worked its magic.

I also have a 2030, I'm assuming there are some basic design similarities between the 2040 and 2030. The base of my machine where the fixed posts are mounted is cast iron but it is not very thick and would not withstand very much concentrated force. The upper end of the fixed tube is mounted in a what I think is an aluminum assembly, this also would not withstand much concentrated force. No doubt the tubes were factory installed with a press fit to ensure alignment and I would not consider trying to disassemble them.

The suggestions previously given regarding penetrating solutions are your best option. After soaking for a while the use of a little heat with a plumbers torch may get things moving.

Thanks Phil. Yes patience. It is a virtue you know.
    Well I have plenty to keep me busy

Thanks for the advice. just going to keep oil on it.
    I'll support the base so it takes the load.
    Any idea about removing the acme screw?

If the Acme screw you refer to is part of the table elevating mechanism, it should be easy to wiggle it a little while soaking it with whatever penetrant your using. Clamp some wood on either side and see if you can get it to twist a little in each direction to get it free. FYI, Most of the little metric round head screws which hold the feed rollers in place look like they have a Phillips recess but in fact they are Japanese Industrial Standard (JIS). They will come loose with a NEW #2 Phillips bit tapped into the recess with a small hammer. A well equipped hardware store will have hex head metric screws which will save a lot of hassles in the future.

The picture of your columns don't look that bad. You will get the table to move with patience.

Brad

http://www.owwm.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=146117

Some old standbys and a new twist using candle wax.

Do you still have this unit? I have one but have bent a feed roller shaft and sheared off the drive shaft. Would you be interested in selling your unit for parts?

Quote Originally Posted by William Rech View Post
    Do you still have this unit? I have one but have bent a feed roller shaft and sheared off the drive shaft. Would you be interested in selling your unit for parts?
    William,
    After using the acetone/ATF I was able to free up the columns. I purchased other parts through ereplacementparts.com and the planer works great! so no, I'm going to hang onto it. Check them out, you may find just what you're looking for. I love it due to its stoutness. Definitely not a portable unit.