Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Makita 2040 planer

Makita 2040 planer

I just acquired a Makita 2040 planer and in need of the columns which have been discontinued.
    Searched the web for 50mm tubing. Not much luck.
    Anyone know of any columns laying around somewhere? or tubing outlets that sell metric sizes besides Metric Express.
    Also, any suggestions as to how to remove them. A bit on the corroded side. Everything else is perfect, but if I can't lower and raise the table then I have a boat anchor.
    Thanks

Hey Ray, whad'ya say? Welcome to the creek. Can you post pictures? You might find something at Mcmaster Carr. You did call Makita?
    Doug

Hey Doug, I say HELP! here's some pics.
    I'll try Mcmaster Carr. Didn't call makita, but all research shows "Discontinued by manufacturer"

planer.jpgplaner detail.jpg

From what I see it looks like you can clean up those columns and use them just fine. I've seen worse get saved and it will save you a lot of trouble.

Do you have an exploded parts diagram? Makita might be able to provide and a tech might even talk you through the process. Removed or in place I think you could use ScotchBrite pads with WD-40 to get most of that cleaned up. If it is stuck in place use some Kroil or other effective penetrant.

Doug,
    Tried all that. Don't have a problem with the column I can get at, the upper casting is stuck to the column.
    Gonna need more than a good penatrant. If I can get new columns then I would cut them off and apply heat to see if I can't change the structure of the metal to pry/twist them off.

Does the raise/lower mechanism tie into the columns as a potential complication?

Nope, works just fine once it's disconnected from the table

Can you get 1 or 2 jacks in underneath to force the table up? I would try that, assuming I'd squirted a bunch of PB blaster in the stuck parts and still couldn't get it to move.

You're going to have to get down and dirty anyway if you're willing to cut the columns and replace them, which sound like a recipe for a boat anchor to me. I looked for 50mm rod or tube for awhile last year and could never find it at anything less than exorbitantly priced. You can get it from the UK of course, but shipping is a lot.
    Last edited by Loren Woirhaye; 03-26-2014 at 7:56 PM.

Did you do a search for "50mm linear bearing rail" ? There are a bunch of places that sell cut to length

http://www.globalindustrial.com/p/mo...50mm-dia-shaft
    Last edited by Tom M King; 03-26-2014 at 8:03 PM.

That was the next plan of attack. Looking at a porta-power or small floor jack just to break it loose,
    Can not remove Acme screw all the way out.
    Thought the cotter pin removal would suffice. Any thoughts?

Thanks Tom,
    gonna check it out right now.

Just checked out Global Industrial.
    Whew! $500
    Think I'm gonna try freeing it up.
    I may just have a parts machine on my hands

Ray are there any clues in the schematic? Could be connected from the top, side, bottom with a long bolt. We do t have much to go on here.

14. I am not unfamiliar with the problem, but nor do I think it's unresolveable. Japan is, after all, a humid climate and these planers have endured as 110v workhorses. I had a 2030 with a seized table for awhile. I put some time it trying to get it to move, then put it on ebay and a guy bought it. I never tried the jack idea. I wasn't attached to the machine because it came my way for free. The rollers were bad anyway.

OK from the http://www.makita.com/en-us/assets/i...nuals/2040.pdfmanual the posts are held in the top by spring pins. Those can be knocked out with a punch. If you have done that some gentle persuasion is called for. I would use a mallet hitting up on a wood block, alternating evenly among the four posts. Have you tried this?

I'm sure you have found some other threads on the machine. Here are a couple:

http://wooditis.blogspot.com.br/2013...ld-makita.html

http://lumberjocks.com/Sarit/blog/22275