Thread: Retirement Anniversary

Retirement Anniversary

One year ago today, I left my job for good. YAY

Times passes so quickly.

Just enjoying life with family and my favorite hobby of woodworking.

Enjoy life whether you are retired or not...

Yep, I retired almost 3 1/2 years ago. It seems like six months.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Yep, I was forced to retire for medical reasons 11 years ago almost to the day. I miss working, (a great deal!) but am enjoying retirement. More woodworking, and time with my daughter!
    Paul

A friend of mine confided that the best thing about retirement is Sunday evening.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill McNiel View Post
    A friend of mine confided that the best thing about retirement is Sunday evening.
    I look at it as Every day is Saturday.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

My retirement 3 years ago was caused by medical and safety reasons. I have enjoyed retirement immensely!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

You guys are lucky that you actually get to retire. I'll probably have to work until I die. My generation will have paid the higher FICA taxes for our entire working lives yet Social Security will almost certainly be reduced by the time I turn 67. I'm putting a good chunk of money in my 401k every paycheck yet I still need ten times what I have saved just to put food on the table when I retire. Hardly anybody in my generation has a pension unless they work for government.

Somebody who just retired at age 58 called into a radio show about finances last night. He was worried he retired from the Post Office too early even though he gets a $4,000 pension and his wife still works. He said his monthly expenses are under $3,000 a month. He and his wife own two paid for homes and they have over $600,000 in retirement savings. He plans to sell one house for nearly $400,000. The radio host told him to quit worrying about money. She said he and his wife would have nearly $1 million after selling one house and might never need to touch that money with the pension.

I would love to be in this guy's position when I retire, but it will never happen.

Oh, I worry about money, but I will never work again, so I just deal with it. We are lucky enough to own a good chunk of our house, and are used to living on little. What extra we have goes to our daughters education, she has special needs, so attends private school. I like the peace of mind it brings.
    Paul