Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: What is your most hated tool that you use regularly?

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Page View Post
    Give the green one a try. Likely be the last one you'll buy.
    Yellow one is better, and I'm not talking about Dewalt

Black &b Decker cordless reciprocating saw. Bought it thinking it would be handy to trim tree branches. By 2nd year, neither battery would charge. Maybe just as well. I think it actually saws better without running it, and just dragging it forward and backward to saw thru a branch. Cannot decide if it out to go to Goodwill, or just toss in the trash. I'll probably donate it and some B&D expert may know how to make it work for them.

This was the last bargain tool I bought, including almost any Harbor Freight tool. Life is too short to buy junk.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Weber View Post
    I would have to say my crappy HF Folding 2-Ton Engine Hoist. I use it all the time, but the legs always get in the way, requiring me to get creative with 2x4s (both for prying and cribbing) to make it work. The safety clip on the chain hook is cheap and causes a lot of grief when trying to hook it on something. Folding and unfolding it is a PITA because of the design -- I need to lift under the pins with a pry bar to get the holes to line up. But that's not enough because the back corner will lift as well, so I have to contort my leg to force that down while prying with the bar with one hand, and installing/removing the pin with the other. Once I finally do get it off the ground, the casters have a mind of their own and usually track about 40 degree off my push direction. It also leaks, so I can't use it to hold something up overnight. Oh yeah, and the bar to pump the jack has a holding tube for when it's not in use, except there's no holding fixture on the bottom, so it likes to fall out. The icing on the cake is the color. Did they have to make it orange?? I really HATE that thing, but sometimes it's the only thing that will work.
    I agree. Hate to live with it, but can't live without it. At least mine is red <g>.
    Last edited by Chris Padilla; 03-31-2014 at 8:35 PM.

Easy. The Troy Bilt 10 HP Chipper/Shredder. You have to be at the top of your game with this tool. It can literally rip branches right out of your hand. It's a monster and must be used when your mind stays sharp. Wouldn't even think of using it when tired or out of sorts.

Troy Bilt 1.jpg

I might take some flak for this, but I'm gonna say my Domino. It never seems to align the boards as well as I would like, forcing me to do more planing or sanding. Its tiring on my back and my wrist to use, and I frequently seem to wreck a board when I accidentally have it set wrong.

My Laguna jointer/planer. I hate having to set the fence on the jointer to 90 degrees every time I changeover. Plus it's just a pain to changeover, and the chip collection in jointer mode is a joke.

Couldn't live without a jointer and a planer, but I wish I had rooms for separates.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

I used to hate my phd too, had one on 3 point that mounted on the back of my tractor, and was one direction only. Couple times I got it stuck in the ground, it just sort of screwed itself into the ground, and I had to take a shovel and dig it out. Now I have a hydraulic drive phd on my skidsteer, and if I get it stuck, just reverse the hydraulics and it screws right back out. Haven't found any ground hard enough I can't dig a hole in either, used to have to carry water and pour in the holes to get them deeper. Life is good.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich Riddle View Post
    Easy. The Troy Bilt 10 HP Chipper/Shredder. You have to be at the top of your game with this tool. It can literally rip branches right out of your hand. It's a monster and must be used when your mind stays sharp. Wouldn't even think of using it when tired or out of sorts.

Troy Bilt 1.jpg
    why do I think of Fargo when I see this?
    Shawn

"no trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

"I resent having to use my brain to do your thinking"

I am not going to say what it was as I already sold it and replaced with a European combo machine. Given woodworking is a hobby for me, when I "hate" something I regularly use, they don't last long and get replaced with something nicer that I actually enjoy using.

I'm gonna have to say my router. The main reason I hate using it is because I don't have good dust collection for it and I end up making a huge mess in the garage/shop. I like to think that if I had a better solution, I probably wouldn't mind using it as much. It's one of those things that I could solve once I finally put some effort into it...

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Pixley View Post
    The router. I hate them...
    +1. Can't stand a router.
    Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.
    -Bill Watterson

Reminds me of my safari in Africa. Somebody forgot the corkscrew and for several days we had to live on nothing but food and water.
    -W. C. Fields

Cheaply made screws that strip out and break more often than they function correctly

If you need CPAP using beats not hands down...

An old Craftsman router, currently mounted in a DIY table. Every time I change the bit depth the center point changes too. Someday it will be replaced, but for as often as I use a router table it's something I can suffer with.
    Last edited by Bruce Page; 04-02-2014 at 11:52 AM.

I am going to say my dust collector. It is loud and doesn't make any chips and hate emptying it. However I can't be without it and use it every day. I have two, 3hp and 1.5hp Jets with Wynn filters.