Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Tavern Table Finished

067.JPGA similar piece chemically aged

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Hughto View Post
    ... I'm glad to hear any critiques too.
    First off, I think it's more than admirable that you have invited criticism -- far too many posters want only to be praised, and are offended if it is tempered in any way.

The piece is awesome! -- more so, knowing some of the trials involved in getting the splays correct.

My only comment is that I would like to see the top aged/worn in some way that is consistent with the wear on the rest of the piece (which by the way, is rather convincing).

Yeah ,it's aged enough . I think he knows that by the time a couple hundred of us have dropped in for a beer it will look
    more used.

Tom, please explain chemical aging. Sounds interesting. Lye maybe?
    Thanks, Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Fulks View Post
    Yeah ,it's aged enough . I think he knows that by the time a couple hundred of us have dropped in for a beer it will look
    more used.
    I like where this is going...

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Bailey View Post
    First off, I think it's more than admirable that you have invited criticism -- far too many posters want only to be praised, and are offended if it is tempered in any way.

The piece is awesome! -- more so, knowing some of the trials involved in getting the splays correct.

My only comment is that I would like to see the top aged/worn in some way that is consistent with the wear on the rest of the piece (which by the way, is rather convincing).
    I agree with this and would continue the aging to the ball feet. These would be well worn. I think it's important to age the whole piece if you are going to age it.

Looks great though. Great hand tool project.

Yeah, I'm not much of a sophisticated finisher - I mostly use shellac and varnish and no stains or dyes or anything - so I was just kinda doing what I thought colorists did. I have no knowledge at all about chemical aging. So, specifically, to age maple a rich amber, what chemical or product or product specifically - for next time. Thanks!

The top is actually aged some, but it's not apparent in the pictures. It has scratches and dings, but I didn't want to go overboard. In person it actually sort of matches the wear on the legs better than it might appear here.

The ball feet are a strange - I don't know if I got too much milk paint on them or what, but I rubbed and rubbed those suckers and they mostly got shiney instead of worn like the original. The do have some rub through that's subtle. I decided I like the shiny blue balls so to speak, so I stopped without breaking out the 80 grit.

I like that a lot. Is that yours? Nice work. Can you describe the details of the aging process?

Come on by. We'll age it with a round or two!

Sean, gotta tell you I like it a LOT. Not as artsy as some of your others, but very nice. Patrick

The piece I posted was colored with aquafortis which is nitric acid and water, there are several other chemicals that will work depending on the wood used. Basically the mixture is applied, allowed to dry then heated with a heat gun. It chemically speeds up the aging process.Here is a link to a post I wrote about the process.
    http://millcrek.wordpress.com/2012/0...-finishing-up/

Wow, Tom, thanks! I have to build another pilgrim piece just to try that. This is why it's so great to share stuff here at the Creek!!

This came out great Sean! I like the well-used look.
    Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

That is a fantastic little table! I think it looks naturally aged and not fabricated to look well used. Excellent work. What are rough dimensions H X L X W?