Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Workflow from Illustrator to LaserCut...tearing my hair out!!

I don't have a newer version of Illustrator but the version I do have is AWFUL at vector tracing. It may look decent, but it stacks colors on top of colors on top of colors. It's absolutely the worst way to deal with artwork when you are working with paths.

Take your file, bring it into Inkscape. Trace it there. Then export into Laserworks. I have a distinct feeling you'll have a lot more success. Gravostyle works a lot like Laserworks and Inkscape is my go to way to vector trace. It simply works better.
    Equipment: IS400, IS6000, VLS 6.60, LS100, HP4550, Ricoh GX e3300n, Hotronix STX20
    Software: Adobe Suite & Gravostyle 5
    Business: Trophy, Awards and Engraving

LaserCut will only import AI ver 8.0 files. So save your files in AI ver 8.0 and then try.

Regards
    Khalid
    Shenhui 80W RECI (600mm x 900mm)
    Corel X5

I work from inkscape all the time. You could save as an SVG and then export as a DXF. I think I'm using the stock DXf save as option. It might have been one of the many plugins for inkscape. It does say that it's R13. So you could try exporting as that if the R13 doesn't work. Inkscape doesn't like .ai files but it will take svg fine or even PDFs. I do all my text editing in inkscape.

Ok, thanks again for all the suggestions. I managed to get some artwork done in Corel, but I think I might give Inkscape a try. It is strange using other programs. I have been using Photoshop (with Illustrator on the side) for so long now it is like groping around in the dark to use something else. But I am cutting stuff and having fun experimenting with the settings on the laser! I knew it would be awesome to own one.
    Logilase Prime 40w

Mac OSX Lion and Snow Leopard
    Windows 7

Photoshop CS6
    Illustrator CS6
    Corel (I try!)

I downloaded the 64 bit version of Inkscape . The installed version has a dark grey screen, any way to get it to standard Windows 7 color and display looking? I've used Photoshop for years, at one time used Corel draw for a previous CNC machine.

FYI the 64 Bit Version has no easy way to change the default black font on dark grey screen. Its now been un-installed. Went back to Corel Draw even the old 9.0 Version I have is easier to use than the 32 Bit version of Inkscape I just tried.
    Last edited by Bill George; 04-01-2014 at 9:49 AM.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10