Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Curly maple table top - trying to learn from a master

Curly maple table top - trying to learn from a master

Greetings. I'm ignorant about finishing and have been reading through posts here to figure out how to finish curly maple. Almost ten years ago a forum participant, Donnie Raines, posted pictures of a fine curly maple table top he had done with dye and Pratt and Lambert 38. Here's a copy of a pic in his thread
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...ly-Maple-Table

Raines' curly maple table top.JPG
    In the thread he said he "used Moser Brown water dye..that was "thinned" out for a softer color. For the top coat I used Pratt and Lambert #38 varnish....which I thinned out to 75% varnish to 25% mineral spirits to make a wiping varnish." I p/med him to ask which of the Moser Brown dyes he had used -- Amazon has several different ones -- and how much he had thinned it but have not received a response. Can anyone here figure out the answer? If I could get in the ballpark I'd be satisfied.

Can't even guess, and the dyes may have changed names / range of colors in the 10 years since he did that.

I've done something like this for a couple of pieces of furniture, following the directions in Fine Woodworking's "Pop the Curl in Curly Maple" article. I ended up ordering several dyes, and playing with them until I got the right finish. I started out with a full strength mix, tried that, then split the dye into two - kept one at full strength, and played by thinning the other until I got what I wanted. The colors wouldn't work out until I ended up mixing two dyes together to get what I wanted.

Thanks for giving it some thought. I've ordered a range of six Moser dyes from Woodworker.com. I'll experiment and report back.

William,

for some reason, Donnie Raines lost his privileges to post here. I suspect you won't hear from him.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Russet amber maple is a sweet dye from Moser. It would not surprise me if it is that one.

Maple stains terribly... unless the curl is extreme (in which a very light colored dye can be used to pop the grain), I would spray a toner over the sealed wood rather than try to stain it. You'll get a more even color that way.

Tai, thank you for bringing that up. I found a Wood Whisperer vid (http://www.thewoodwhisperer.com/articles/blotch-control-to-rule-them-all/) that highly recommended Charles Neil's conditioner (www.cnwoodworking.com) and have ordered a quart.
    Loren, it looks like I bracketed Russet Amber by picking Golden Amber and Medium Amber Maple.
    Last edited by William Earnest; 04-01-2014 at 8:12 AM.

I use Trans Tint dyes all the time and quite frequently lay on a coat of amber first, then my desired color(s) coats on top of the amber. The Amber underneath can help impart a "glow" to the upper colors. Like the difference between"Oak" and a "Golden Oak" colors. As said above, prep (same as you intend to do the prep on your project) some actual wood scraps from your project and start mixing up strengths of the colors. Sometimes I use three different colors to get the tone I am looking for. You will need to lay on your topcoat over your test dye scraps to get the true look of your test pieces.
    David

How about something like this?

Hall Tables - 90.jpg

Notes from my project files:

1. Dark Vintage Maple Transtint, 2 oz liquid to 1 pt water.
    2. Flood. Wipe dry. Wait.
    3. Pretty thorough sanding with 3M 216u 600g.
    4. Seal with 3/4# ultra pale shellac. Padded on 3 coats. Brought out the curl even more
    5. Final finish with Behlen's Rockhard.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

Quote Originally Posted by Kent A Bathurst View Post

Hall Tables - 90.jpg
    Wow.

That's spectacular.

Quote Originally Posted by Kent A Bathurst View Post

Hall Tables - 90.jpg

Notes from my project files:

1. Dark Vintage Maple Transtint, 2 oz liquid to 1 pt water.
    2. Flood. Wipe dry. Wait.
    3. Pretty thorough sanding with 3M 216u 600g.
    4. Seal with 3/4# ultra pale shellac. Padded on 3 coats. Brought out the curl even more
    5. Final finish with Behlen's Rockhard.
    I'll try this for sure ,
    BUT what about the Behlen's RockHard ? ?
    My research has show it's not the same now as it was back in 'o4
    they changed it's whole formulation
    it's Now a Poly
    any idea of a replacement ? WaterLox maybe ?
    Mike >............................................/ Maybe I'm doing this Babysitting Gig to throw off the Authorities \................................................<

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Mahan View Post
    I'll try this for sure ,
    BUT what about the Behlen's RockHard ? ?
    My research has show it's not the same now as it was back in 'o4
    they changed it's whole formulation
    it's Now a Poly
    any idea of a replacement ? WaterLox maybe ?
    all true.
    unfortunately.
    Go w'lox, is my advice.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Matthews View Post
    Wow.

That's spectacular.
    Thanks, Jim. Very kind. I got a kick out of these [there is a pair]

Ebonized white oak base. With the alchemist version - steel wool in white vinegar for an iron solution, and also quebracho bark tea. Tried a version with eye of newt, but that didn't seem to help.

And - you can't see it from this angle, but floating top.

Out-of-body experience for a dyed-in-the-wool Stickley/Arts&Crafts guy. Just started making stuff up as I went on the construction - limited design and just let 're rip.

I had been wanting to do something like this for a few years. Wife said "go right ahead, but it won't be in my house." One evening over wine I was whining to a neighbor about the lost opportunity, and she said "I'll commission that from you. But only if you will do 2 of them."

Bingo.

14. Quote Originally Posted by Kent A Bathurst View Post
    all true.
    unfortunately.
    Go w'lox, is my advice.
    ThanX Kent !

I thinking small table Top with Panama rosewood legs & frame .
    I've been buying alot of Curly & Tiger Maple as I love the look
    Just looking for Ideas & finishing methods
    Mike >............................................/ Maybe I'm doing this Babysitting Gig to throw off the Authorities \................................................<

Is Waterlox a rough equivalent to the Pratt and Lambert 38 Raines used?
    Last edited by William Earnest; 04-08-2014 at 8:14 AM.