Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wiexeys eat batteries

Wiexeys eat batteries

I have 3 different Wixey instruments, The Angle cube, the Digital Protractor and the Digital Dial Calipers and each and every year I have to take the batteries out, make sure they are not in a cold spot and baby the instruments so they'll work. I understand they have a new Angle cube that has better batteries than the #2032 they used in the original cube. This year I left the batteries in, made sure they were "off" and put them in a warm spot in our house. All 3 are shot and I'm so tired of Wixey's crap I'll never buy another one. Anyone have a better digital instrument? I've tried IGaging and they're not quite as bad but still eat batteries at a slower pace.
    Since Wixey has decided that they needed to upgrade to bigger/more batteries in the Cube it would be nice if they'd let those of us who bough their to trade for a new one. However, knowing Wixey it will be another
    Last edited by Bruce Page; 03-30-2014 at 11:25 PM. Reason: Removed implied profanity.

Yep, I bought a 10 pack of Sony CR2032 batts from amazon for $10 which should keep me going for a good while. I have four different Wixey models.

Quote Originally Posted by John Schweikert View Post
    Yep, I bought a 10 pack of Sony CR2032 batts from amazon for $10 which should keep me going for a good while. I have four different Wixey models.
    +1. I'm just glad that most seem to have standardized on 2032 instead of a mix of 2025/2032. I've even had them mixed in the same piece of equipment. Other than a slight difference in size, is there any real difference?

It really got my attention today when i needed to get a angle reading and, stupid me, relied in the Wixey. Of course dead batteries. Off to the store...45 minutes later i'm getting a reading that should have taken less than a minute. Next purchase will be a Bevel Protractor...never again a wixey.

I know what you mean about eating batteries. I usually remove the batteries from all my shop measuring devices. I am a weekend worker. There is nothing more frustrating than using a tool once or twice and having dead batteries when you need it again in 6 months. If I was a production worker, I would just leave them in and buy lots of spares.

Steve

I just leave the batteries out until I need to use it,I have been using the same betteries for as long as I can remember.

Blog Entries
    This is a recurring thread topic and I wonder if it is at all regional/environment/weather sensitive? I used to have this problem years ago until I started buying name brand batteries from a reliable source. I know Duracells and Energizers are supposed to be good for many years from the purchase date but, I do not find this to be true.

I tried picking up batteries half a dozen at a time online in order to save a few bucks. This didn't work out as even though the battery package would state "Use by March of 2018", if the battery were stored for many months, in the original package in my home office, it would be unreliable for my digital readout products when I went to use it.

I started buying the newest battery I could find at the drug store off the medical battery rack (calling them 'medical' shouldn't make any difference) and have used the same batteries for up to a year. The 2032's are lithium and should hold a charge longer than others given proper initial quality and storage / care. Even the Duracell and Energizers would perform poorly if the "use by" date wasn't around 8 years out. The Wixey's turn themselves off so I don't really pay attention to powering them off manually and have used them almost daily without issue when using batteries as described.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I purchased two Wixey instruments, one two years ago and one earlier this year. Haven't had a problem with either one and I keep them in my toolbox with the batteries installed. I also have a Mitutoyo dial caliper that has had a battery in it for about five years, still works fine.

I'm inclined to agree with Glenn that there maybe a regional/environment/weather sensitive issue in Bill's shop.

I have 4 Wixey products and zero battery issues.

Jack

The power button only shuts off the display. The "brains" stay on so you don't have to re-zero it every time you turn it on.

John

Blog Entries
    I have a Beall Tilt Box and the battery in it lasts several years in my shop. In fact I think in the 6-8 years I've owned it, I've only changed the battery once.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

I'm with Lee. I even talked with John Wixey about the problem. I'd come into the shop in the morning and the Wixey would be on.
    Happened often and finally new batteries didn't help.
    My first angle box committed suicide but the second was murdered.
    Only had the Beall with original battery 2+ years.
    It doesn't itself on randomly.
    Last edited by Joe Scharle; 03-31-2014 at 9:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Peterson View Post
    I know what you mean about eating batteries. I usually remove the batteries from all my shop measuring devices. I am a weekend worker. There is nothing more frustrating than using a tool once or twice and having dead batteries when you need it again in 6 months. If I was a production worker, I would just leave them in and buy lots of spares.

Steve
    Same here. I use the angle thingy so infrequently it's no big deal to remove the back, insert the battery, replace the back and go. My gut feeling is that Beall makes the best angle cube thingy. I do have an iGaging 12" digital readout thingy that uses 2 CR2032 batteries. It's still on the originals and I've had it for I guess 2 years, maybe more. I don't use it frequently, maybe 3 times a month on average but the standby mode must use virtually no power.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    I have a Beall Tilt Box and the battery in it lasts several years in my shop. In fact I think in the 6-8 years I've owned it, I've only changed the battery once.
    Doesn't the Beall use a 9-volt battery.
    War Eagle!

Old School. No batteries required.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney