Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I Hate New Gas Cans & Other New "Safety" Inventions

I Hate New Gas Cans & Other New "Safety" Inventions

These new "safety" gas cans leave just about everything to be desired. One needs to be a four armed monkey to make them work. As long as a list is compiling, these new duplex outlet plugs with the "safety" plastic inside prove ineffective as well; that is unless your ultimate goal is to avoid plugging in items. What new "safety" equipment do you hate?

The new "safety caps" on gas cans are a horrible safety hazzard.
    The one on the can I bought for the snow blower is so complex I don't even bother trying to figure it out while I'm standing in the cold and snow.
    I just remove the cap/spout and try to hit the fill hole.
    I end up splashing gas all over.

I told my wife that when it all catches fire and blow up to sue the daylights out of everybody involved.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

The spring in cap of my new gas can stopped working making it impossible to pour gasoline. Nothing that a drill couldn't solve and drilled it out in the middle. Attached the two pieces with "duck" tape and it works like an old can. Just tip and pour. Saving us from idiots must be what legislators do at work.

The legislators ARE the idiots. The biggest idiots are the people that voted for the current batch of idiots except in the rare case where those elected were the lesser evil.

Gas cans are a serious pet peeve of mine, though I just bought one of these and honestly, it's the best gas can I've ever owned.
    http://www.nospill.com/

As far as safety goes, I'm still getting over the loss of lawn darts.

The plastic tube on most of the plastic gas cans is made of plastic that breaks down in sun light. It will get brittle and break into. Often that happens when you happen to be pouring gas into something. I really miss the good cans of "old" than had metal flex spouts that you could bend and they would hold that shape so you didn't have to try to hold a full 5 gallon or even 2 gallon can with one hand and get the spot stuck in the filler opening with the other hand.

Quote Originally Posted by John Coloccia View Post
    Gas cans are a serious pet peeve of mine, though I just bought one of these and honestly, it's the best gas can I've ever owned.
    I second that! These are great cans, even better than most of the old non-carb-compliant ones from years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Lassiter View Post
    The plastic tube on most of the plastic gas cans is made of plastic that breaks down in sun light. It will get brittle and break into. Often that happens when you happen to be pouring gas into something. I really miss the good cans of "old" than had metal flex spouts that you could bend and they would hold that shape so you didn't have to try to hold a full 5 gallon or even 2 gallon can with one hand and get the spot stuck in the filler opening with the other hand.
    At one time Sears/KMart stocked a flexible metal replacement spout. I'm not sure how the venting worked, though, I don't recall anything except a single flexible metal tube.

Those No Spill cans are amazing. A little pricey but everything is today.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Marsh View Post
    I second that! These are great cans, even better than most of the old non-carb-compliant ones from years ago.
    Third. I've got a small fleet of them now in 5 and 1.25 gallon sizes. The cans themselves are really well made (read: thick plastic that won't badly deform) and the spouts are the best implementation of a compliant design. I do see a little trouble with the O-rings from time to time and if you lose one they will leak. I think flow rate is part of the regulation but it takes a long time to dump a 5 gallon one into my zero turn. And of course half the time I wait until both tanks are empty so I get to do it twice. They actually sell replacement spouts and also sell a flexible spout extension that is good for vehicle refueling (like when you dump the gas that's been sitting for 2 months to use it up.)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Lassiter View Post
    The plastic tube on most of the plastic gas cans is made of plastic that breaks down in sun light.
    Many plastic cans themselves break down. I have a few 2 and 5 gallon cans that are pushing 20 years old that have separated on the molding seam. And these cans have always been stored in a garage or shed, they don't see daily sunlight...
    Last edited by Kev Williams; 03-31-2014 at 10:39 AM.
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

I have to disagree on the gas cans and new spouts also. With the new style spouts I can actually get gas in my small engines without spilling gas all over the place. It does take a little bit longer to empty 4-5 gallons in the riding mower, but I'm not that impatient.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Marsh View Post

I watched the video and I agree,great cans.
    "Whether you think you can, or you think you can’t - you’re right."
    - Henry Ford

these are aggravating to use and the spouts will break into often.

new cap.png
    Got one of these, and while the spout hasn't broke, it is rigid and doesn't bent. A plus is it has to be pushed down to release gas, so at least you can get it into the tank without pouring gas everywhere.

new push style cap rev.jpg
    This was the best IMO. I understand it doesn't contain vapors like the new ones, and if you had one that was pretty old it might leak a little at the seams (saw one do that) you moved it into the shape you needed, it stayed there without holding it. You could use both hands to hold the gas can steady, NEVER saw one break into.
    metal spout.jpg
    Universal Laser ILS 12.150D (48"x24") 135 watts total, with 60 watt and 75 watt laser cartridges. Class 4 Module (pass thru ability). Photograv 3.0, Corel X6, Adobe Design Standard CS4 Suite, Engrave Lab laser Version 8, Melco Single Head Comercial Embroidery Machine, The Magic Touch System with Oki C711WT printer, and Graphtec CE6000-60 plotter.

I use a siphon pump. Much easier than wrestling with a very heavy fuel can.

Chris
    If you only took one trip to the hardware store, you didn't do it right.