Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: re-sawing advice

I cut this 2ish x 7.5 inch x 2 ft piece of walnut by hand. I know that you're going to be sawing a lot more than this, but it can be done.

I marked two lines around the whole board referencing the same side, with the two lines being my max kerf width. I clamped the board at an angle and established a good kerf down each side of the board. I then vlamped the board straight up and down and sawed straight. It took a while, but I had no other option for cutting this board. I've been seriously thinking about building a big frame saw, but havent gotten to it yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Winton Applegate View Post
    I am Mr. Hand tool. I even ride my bicycle to work every day.
    Human powered allllllll the way
    Is there a connection here. I know there are quite a few bicycle/woodworking enthusiasts. But is there a connection between hand tools and transportation cyclists, like myself and winton? I should probably start another thread.

3. This is close to a bicycle woodworker. http://blog.lostartpress.com/2014/03...-and-builders/

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Bowman View Post
    Is there a connection here. I know there are quite a few bicycle/woodworking enthusiasts. But is there a connection between hand tools and transportation cyclists, like myself and winton? I should probably start another thread.

My friend Daniel O'Hagan was a hand tool woodworker who resawed by hand and also used a pit saw. Years ago he rode his bike from Pennsylvania to North Carolina to teach hand work to guys like Drew Langsner and Peter Follansbee. Not sure you and Winton are in that category.

I ride a bicycle a lot too. From home to the railway station and in the city I have a second bike to get to work. For grocery shopping and for most other errands around town. But that's nothing special. Bicycles are the norm for around town transport overhere. To be honest I don't really like bike riding, much prefer walking during my holidays.

I've done a little bit of hand resawing too, but nothing large like that.

I watched this video and copied his technique. I would rexommend angling the board more than bending over like he does several times. Make sure your saw is sharp and cuts straight before starting.Watch "Using a hand saw to rip boards to thickness" on YouTube
    Using a hand saw to rip boards to thickness: http://youtu.be/c_fvnSwhJuM

Another biker-hand tooler here. On-and-off no-car owner. Two do seem to go together. And I miss the 80s campy stuff, now ride a cross bike with 'mano.

C

Quote Originally Posted by Edward Clarke View Post
    That kerfing saw that he's using makes the whole thing a lot easier.
    I emulated just this idea with one of my backsaws.
    So long as the first (kerfing) blade is wider, the other should follow the same tracks.

I've done it with, and without this prepping step and this way is MUCH better, in the end.
    Less binding in the cut, less waste and less planing to final thickness.

Quote Originally Posted by Edward Clarke View Post
    Take a look at the Unplugged Woodshop. That guy posted a video a couple of days ago:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OtmswWZ4Lvo#t=86

That kerfing saw that he's using makes the whole thing a lot easier.
    Edward thanks for the link. I had seen another frame saw u-tube demo, but it didn't include the Kerfing Plane. If it weren't for due dates, the day job, and a few other obligations and opportunities, I'd be content to first build the kerfing plane, then then frame saw, then the bookshelf, but alas I just spent the past 4 months working on a bench in my discretionary time. If I don't make something for the household soon, well let's just say the long cold winter could extend well into spring. Of course I did ask for information on how to do this, and must say I'm impressed with the Unplugged Woodshop. If I can't find a bandsawyer to assist me, I likely will use a thin kerf blade on the tablesaw for deep kerfs, and hand saw the burried spine. I've done this before for ship lapped backs out of 6" oak.

That certainly is a usefull option too. The thin kerf saws are still about 3mm wide, and a handsaw only 1.2 mm. So it is a bit wastefull. But when you wander a lot in the cut with a handsaw, you quickly go over that 3 mm anyway.

I ride a bicycle in endurance events and haven't yet seen where this helps me with hand resawing. Do you guys strap the saw to your feet? Sorry, I knew better than to do this but couldn't help myself. For the original poster, you can buy a saw blade from Isaac at Blackburn Tool very reasonably to make a fine frame saw for ripping. I bought a 4"x48"x3tpi that I use when I am only ripping a few pieces and I have a 24" bandsaw. Sean is right though, if you have to do a lot of ripping it quickly becomes a chore rather than an enjoyable old school exercise.

Well, if you guys could rig up a weighted wheel system, you could resaw with bandsaws (all of the sudden blade sharpness would become very important). figure that you can output about what, 200 watts for a period of a few minutes before getting pooped? Someone who is fit could, I couldn't.

If you had a blade speed of about 1000 feet per minute, I'd bet you could pedal it.

No, I was thinking more along the lines of motivation. One of the reasons for me riding to work all the time is that I can get to work "without assistance". Same thing with hand tools.

It's probably just an all-around skepticism towards the common belief that everything we do has to be motor-assisted. Most people accept that without question.
    I bike to work also. Recently, I mentioned to a work associate that I would be without a car for several weeks. From the look on her face, you'd think I had told her I was going to amputate my arm.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Voigt View Post
    It's probably just an all-around skepticism towards the common belief that everything we do has to be motor-assisted. Most people accept that without question.
    I bike to work also. Recently, I mentioned to a work associate that I would be without a car for several weeks. From the look on her face, you'd think I had told her I was going to amputate my arm.
    Riding a bike gives a great sense of freedom and accomplishment no doubt. It can also speak volumes about how much one cares about health and the environment.
    Last edited by Pat Barry; 04-02-2014 at 3:27 PM. Reason: too much info