Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Southern States Woodturning Symposium - Worth it? $150

Southern States Woodturning Symposium - Worth it? $150

http://www.southernstatessymposium.org/

Have never been to a Symposium, do ya'll think they are worth it - $150 is a lot to spend

It is near by so not much travel

Symposiums can be a wonderful experience. I attend the SWAT Symposium in Waco TX every year and it's a 8 hour drive for me! I looked at the site and there is a slew of very talented demonstrators scheduled to be at the Southern States, so if it is near home.... go for it and attend every demo you can. Beware of the vendor areas.. your wallet might suffer!
    -------
    No, it's not thin enough yet.
    -------

The lineup of demonstrators is well worth it.Jimmy Clewes does great demos.

Three days of expert demonstrations, large vendor area and camaraderie with follow turners; it's worth it. I'll be there.

So does Mike Mahoney. Clewes and Mahoney alone would be worth the $159 IMO.

Dave.....that is $150 well spent.....symposiums are well worth it

you might also consider the Virginia Woodturning Symposium.....sept 13 &14.......only $65 Stuart Batty & Molly Winton

http://www.virginiawoodturners.com/

Another vote for well worth it. We usually charge around $250 for our Desert Woodturning Roundup, but Phoenix in February is an enticing draw. Plus, we have 7 or 8 demonstrators of national and international status. Go for it.

I will be there. I have two booths and will be one of the vendors selling wood.

I've gone to this symposium several times and will be going again this year. Well worth the money.

This will be my seventh year attending Southern States. Great opportunity to socialize with other turners, watch great demonstrators and talk to turning vendors and even try out some of the products they sell or see them in action.
    God is great and life is good!

Warning! SWAT is addictive! My first trip to SWAT was 5 years ago and I haven't missed one since then. I am now giving serious consideration to attending the National AAW symposium. If your wife pays the credit card bills like mine does, be sure to squirrel away some cash to keep some purchases off the books. I can guarantee that you will find a bunch of stuff in the vendor area that you can't live without.

I agree it was worth it, I had to leave half way thru Saturday due to a previous commitment but got in all the morning demos. I wasn't able to catch any of the Dennis Liggett demos but all the other ones I went to were great. The vendor area was smaller than expected by I did buy something.

What other "Local" to Atlanta ones are there?

The national AAW symposium is coming to Atlanta in 2016...I think.
    -------
    -------

really..........that is big time Scott.........

That's the news I heard, but I do not see it on the AAW site as of yet. I believe it was announced at the Southern States Symposium on the last day.
    -------
    -------