Thread: Hitachi M12V Disassembly

Hitachi M12V Disassembly

Hello,

I have to replace the end bracket on a m12v due to breaking the plunge bracket.
    I was hoping someone could direct me to some type of disassembly
    instructions?

Thanks, Mike

I might be able to, I've got two of these routers and have taken one of them apart a bit, but I'm not sure what your describing. A picture would help.
    I got cash in my pocket. I got desire in my heart....

On the bottom of the main body of the router, the aluminum part, needs to be replaced and I'm not sure where to start in disassembling the router. Not sure if that helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Newell View Post
    On the bottom of the main body of the router, the aluminum part, needs to be replaced and I'm not sure where to start in disassembling the router. Not sure if that helps.
    Here is the parts blowup of that router, which part do you need to replace?

http://www.ereplacementparts.com/hit...65_147603.html

it's part #41. Not sure where to start.

Wow, I've not tackled anything like that before. Looks like a pretty serious motor a tear down. I'd suggest you just get a new router. These have been discontinued for sometime, what might be the next thing to go on it? Cracking that part must have been a bad drop or something else bad. Sorry I can't really help.

M12V_WW_1.gif Screenshot_2014-04-01-21-35-36.jpg
    Last edited by Judson Green; 04-01-2014 at 10:37 PM.

Thanks for the advise. I was going to retire it but I was laid off a few mos ago and don't feel good spending the extra $ on myself. The router has been mounted in a router table tith a router raizer for height adjustment and has been a champ. It looks like I can get the part for $30 if I can replace it.

Mike

You might wanna replace bearings your gonna have them off anyways, at least see if you can get them and at what cost. They were probably pressed on. Work on a clean bench or table, might wanna lay a towel down to work on top of, and have a digital camera near; take photos of your disassemably, it will help you to reassemble.

If I was gonna try it...

I'd start by removing the plunge base. Remove the nuts of the threaded rod, release the plunge brake and the base should pop off. There's a little (like ¼" long) shaft on the brake side; make sure to get it out and do not lose it.

Then remove the 4 screws at the bottom. I'd also have removed the plastic handles, cause your now probably gonna want to tap on part 41 at the handle stubs to remove it. I'd probably do this with the router upsidedown, trying to keep the armature inside.

Good luck!

Just went for it and took it apart. Judson, good advise, thanks. After removing the plunge base, handles and depth adjuster you remove the top and have access to the top of the armature and can use the collet lock and turn the top of the armature, part #4 to remove the collet. Then you have to tap out the end bracket, part 41, from the bearing. I'm definitely taking your advise and replacing the bearings.

Thanks again everyone for the advise, Mike

glad to hear it's working out for ya