Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: He's a possibly stupid idea

Here's a possibly stupid idea

Keith,

In an effort to increase the number of people posting, how about this....... The Freestuff drawing as a great idea. The odds of winning, however, are heavily weighted toward the infrequent posters (1000+ members, 100-200 active posters). How about a weigthing system..... nothing complicated..... something like every XX posts gets you 1 entry into the drawing. I think this might encourage people to post a little more. Those with obviously gratuitous posts to pad their message count would be policed by the members at large

Thoughst?

Lets see now Dave. Sun glasses & one of those round flat brimmed smoky the bear state patrol hats. Yep you sure would do just fine for our MAL patrolman. Chuckle he he.
    Last edited by Bart Leetch; 05-21-2003 at 11:08 AM.
    I usually find it much easier to be wrong once in while than to try to be perfect.

My web page has a pop up. It is a free site, just close the pop up on the right side of the screen

Gratuitous post count increase

Dave -

While I understand your reasoning, I think the gratuitous post count would greatly increase. That would make it more difficult to sort through the forums for actual information rather than just the "me, too!" type comments. Besides that is even more work for Keith, Aaron and the other folks.

I think its great that we even have a Freestuff drawing.

Ted

More posts

I may or may not be in favor of this idea.
    Does that count?
    "Howdy" from Southwestern PA

Ted,

Point well taken........

Huntsville, AL (The Sun and Fun Capital of The South)

Personal Opinion

This is my personal opinion and has nothing to do with my moderating chores for the forums.

I feel every "member" of SMC regardless of whether they post frequently, infrequently, or don't post at all for that matter should be eligible .

Some folks who are members here are relatively new to wooodworking and are hesitant to become involved in the discussions of solutions to problems, etc. because of their inexperience. I can attest to that since over a long period of time on The Pond and other forums I have received an untold number of e-mails from folks who ask questions they felt uncomfortable about asking on the forums in the way of a post.

Lets face it - the more experienced guys and gals have a chance to post more often strictly because their experiences allow them to be able to contribute to the subject of a given thread/discussion.

The fact the "Freestuff" program is presently available to ALL members will act to increase our membership for all levels of woodworkers. The larger our membership becomes the more powerful what goes on here becomes.

As a woodworking hobbiest for more than 50 years I have always been more receptive to working with the novices in order, in my own little way, to promote the hobby. Besides if you are and experienced woodworking hobbiest or a professional woodworker --- you are already hooked.

Making ALL members eligible for ALL the benefits of SMC makes more sense to me.
    Last edited by Ken Salisbury; 05-21-2003 at 12:32 PM.
    "If you believe in yourself and have dedication and pride - and never quit, you'll be a winner. The price of victory is high - but so are the rewards" - - Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant
    Ken Salisbury Passed away on May 1st, 2008 and will forever be in our hearts.

Blog Entries

Random is better!

I feel that the random method is best. Any other method is likely to generate posts for the sake of posting to raise the point count and will be difficult to police. I for one wouldn't want that job!

I feel that every one should post comments when tehy feel like it and not be encouraged or dissuaded from posting because they see 20 other folks have already posted.

I don't think too many people can answer a question, even when they agree with everyone that has already posted.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Re: Gratuitous post count increase

Originally posted by Ted Shrader
    Dave -

...I think the gratuitous post count would greatly increase...
    Dave, as I was reading your post, I had the exact same thought as Ted. Not so much now, but when the forum originally kicked off, it seemed people were just posting to raise their count. Sort of like people who talk just to hear themselves

The intent behind your idea is not bad. I feel random is probably the better way to go. But, just to through out another idea. What about you get a 'entry' for each day you 'hit' SMC.

Weighting System

A weighting system based upon post count right now would
    make the chances of winning the following (instead of roughly
    .1%):

<table border=0> <tr> <td><b><font face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="-1">Post Count&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</font></b></td> <td><b><font face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="-1">Individual Chance of Winning</font></b></td> <td><font face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="-1"></font></td> </tr> <tr> <td><font face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="-1">0 to 58</font></td> <td><font face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="-1">0.09</font></td> <td><font face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="-1">%</font></td> </tr> <tr> <td><font face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="-1">59 to 117</font></td> <td><font face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="-1">0.17</font></td> <td><font face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="-1">%</font></td> </tr> <tr> <td><font face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="-1">118 to 176</font></td> <td><font face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="-1">0.26</font></td> <td><font face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="-1">%</font></td> </tr> <tr> <td><font face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="-1">177 to 235</font></td> <td><font face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="-1">0.34</font></td> <td><font face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="-1">%</font></td> </tr> <tr> <td><font face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="-1">236 to 294</font></td> <td><font face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="-1">0.43</font></td> <td><font face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="-1">%</font></td> </tr> <tr> <td><font face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="-1">295 to 353</font></td> <td><font face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="-1">0.51</font></td> <td><font face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="-1">%</font></td> </tr> <tr> <td><font face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="-1">354 to 412</font></td> <td><font face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="-1">0.60</font></td> <td><font face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="-1">%</font></td> </tr> <tr> <td><font face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="-1">413 to 471</font></td> <td><font face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="-1">0.00</font></td> <td><font face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="-1">%</font></td> <tr> <tr> <td><font face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="-1">472 to 530</font></td> <td><font face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="-1">0.00</font></td> <td><font face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="-1">%</font></td> <tr> <tr> <td><font face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="-1">Ken</font></td> <td><font face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="-1">0.85</font></td> <td><font face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="-1">%</font></td> </tr></table>

Of course, I've made some simplifying assumptions (like everyone is eligible).
    Making the distribution based upon the user's last visit would be a little different:

<table border=0 width="297"> <tr> <td><b><font face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="-1">Last visit&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</font></b></td> <td><b><font face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="-1">Individual Chance of Winning</font></b></td> <td><font face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="-1"></font></td> </tr> <tr> <td><font face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="-1">1 week</font></td> <td><font face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="-1">0.346</font></td> <td><font face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="-1">%</font></td> </tr> <tr> <td><font face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="-1">2 weeks</font></td> <td><font face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="-1">0.325</font></td> <td><font face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="-1">%</font></td> </tr> <tr> <td><font face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="-1">3 weeks</font></td> <td><font face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="-1">0.303</font></td> <td><font face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="-1">%</font></td> </tr> <tr> <td><font face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="-1">4 weeks</font></td> <td><font face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="-1">0.282</font></td> <td><font face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="-1">%</font></td> </tr> <tr> <td><font face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="-1">5 weeks</font></td> <td><font face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="-1">0.260</font></td> <td><font face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="-1">%</font></td> </tr> <tr> <td><font face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="-1">6 weeks</font></td> <td><font face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="-1">0.238</font></td> <td><font face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="-1">%</font></td> </tr> <tr> <td><font face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="-1">7 weeks</font></td> <td><font face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="-1">0.217</font></td> <td><font face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="-1">%</font></td> </tr> <tr> <td><font face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="-1">8 weeks</font></td> <td><font face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="-1">0.195</font></td> <td><font face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="-1">%</font></td> <tr> <tr> <td><font face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="-1">9 weeks</font></td> <td><font face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="-1">0.173</font></td> <td><font face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="-1">%</font></td> <tr> <tr> <td><font face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="-1">10 weeks</font></td> <td><font face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="-1">0.152</font></td> <td><font face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="-1">%</font></td> <tr> <tr> <td><font face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="-1">11 weeks</font></td> <td><font face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="-1">0.130</font></td> <td><font face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="-1">%</font></td> <tr> <tr> <td><font face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="-1">12 weeks</font></td> <td><font face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="-1">0.108</font></td> <td><font face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="-1">%</font></td> <tr> <tr> <td><font face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="-1">13 weeks</font></td> <td><font face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="-1">0.087</font></td> <td><font face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="-1">%</font></td> <tr> <tr> <td><font face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="-1">14 weeks</font></td> <td><font face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="-1">0.065</font></td> <td><font face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="-1">%</font></td> <tr> <tr> <td><font face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="-1">15 weeks</font></td> <td><font face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="-1">0.043</font></td> <td><font face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="-1">%</font></td> <tr> </table>

Thus, members who have been to the board within the past week
    would be about 8 times as likely to win as those who signed up
    and never came back.

Cheers,

_Aaron_

Re: Weighting System

Originally posted by Aaron Koehl
    Making the distribution based upon the user's last visit would be a little different:
    Speaking as one of those who post only occasionally, but read and learn a lot, I think this is a fine idea.

I'd hate to have someone who hasn't been on the creek for months win, when it could have been me. Even though I don't contribute a great deal, I do feel like I'm part of the community.
    Last edited by John Schreiber; 05-21-2003 at 9:23 PM.
    Please consider becoming a contributing member of Sawmill Creek.
    The cost is minimal and the benefits are real. Donate

FreeStuff Drawings

The intent of the FreeStuff Program is to promote a sense of good will between woodworkers and the tool manufacturers/retail outlets. The program is supposed to be a direct link since all prizes are sent from the company making the donation directly to the winner. There is no monetary gain for SawMill Creek, we simply provide the means of conducting the drawing.

If we use any other method of selecting a winner other than the current procedure it could be misinterpreted by some that we are using the program for our own gain to reward a select group who support our forum. Obviously you have to be a member of SawMill Creek to win, we have to have your name in our database for the electronic selection process to work and we need an email address to communicate with you if you are the winner.

Every woodworker has the same chance of winning whether they are the top poster or have never posted a single message. Even if they registered and have never returned they have an equal chance at wining a prize. Since the prizes are donated by companies that we have no official association with it would seem unethical for the program to be weighted in any way.

We do have a huge number of guests who visit our forum, as they are also woodworkers we do provide services to the entire woodworking community, even those who are not members of SawMill Creek. Our community is based on sharing information and providing a support infrastructure for woodworking. We should keep this goal in mind and continue to focus on what we have to offer to the entire woodworking community by inviting all woodworkers to join us at "The Creek". Prizes are nice but they're just icing on the cake, the real value at SawMill Creek is the information and friendship that is shared.

Let's keep the FreeStuff program open equally to all, if a prize will help persuade someone to join us and we gain another woodworker who will contribute their knowledge everyone wins.

This is my personal opinion as a woodworker and member of SawMill Creek.

Infrequent poster

While I was one of the first to sign up on the creek, I don't post a lot. I do come here several times a day to read and look for Ken's graphics, and see what is new. Now! I don't feel I need to post repeadely to be a part of this site, and look forward to the freestuff, although I have never won anything but a cake at a cake walk in high school 40 years ago. I could probably have bought two cakes for what I paid to win. Anyway I agree with Keith. And thanks for this site.

Jim
    Jim Fuller Lineville, Al

Huntsville, AL (The Sun and Fun Capital of The South)

Hey Fuller

Jim Fuller said : " I do come here several times a day to read and look for Ken's graphics

Jim --- surely you have more to do than come here to see what graphics I use. Anyway here is one just for you:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "If you believe in yourself and have dedication and pride - and never quit, you'll be a winner. The price of victory is high - but so are the rewards" - - Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant
    Ken Salisbury Passed away on May 1st, 2008 and will forever be in our hearts.

I have been lurking around here for several months. I am fairly new to woodworking and have learned a lot by just reading the posts everyday. I have also learned a lot about some of the people who post here. I'm on this forum everyday, sometimes several times a day. My point is that I participate without ever posting- until now. Tom Stover

something else to do!

Ken, I don't know of anything better to do in the few spare minutes I have occasionally, than to come here, your graphics are just a plus. Thanks for the personalized one. BTW when do you get on chat?

JF
    Jim Fuller Lineville, Al