Thread: Outrigger for Nova DVR xp

Question Outrigger for Nova DVR xp

What is your experience?
    Is the outrigger worth getting? Does it work well? Do you actually use it much?
    I am a satisfied owner of a DVR xp and am wondering about adding this accessory.

John

I have one, although I haven't used the lathe at all for far to long. As I remember, it was surprisingly stable.
    Gary

"It is neither wealth nor splendor, but tranquility and occupation which give happiness. " Thomas Jefferson

I had one on my DVR, but I can't say I used it much. A lot of that was because I didn't have the room to stand where I would need to stand in order to use it. It is very stable but as I recall there wasn't a whole lot of reach away from the face of the blank. It would be good for large platters and very shallow bowls but it seems to me that the rest couldn't be any more than ~5" away from the face of the chuck, so it wouldn't allow a deep bowl blank. There is probably a very good reason for that.....

Bob

I have used mine for 20+yrs..I can't bend over the bed, so, this is wonderful for me. I can sit on a stool with wheels and move almost as well as folks do standing.
    Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning, the devil says, "oh crap she's up!"

Tolerance is giving every other human being every right that you claim for yourself.

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts are gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts will happen to man. All things are connected. " Chief Seattle Duwamish Tribe

I bought one, thought I would use it a lot and haven't
    Really they have limited use, but are useful
    Making sawdust mostly, sometimes I get something else, but that is more by accident then design.

I had one on my 1624 for about four years and it was superb for storing the knock out bar. Other than that I never used it and sold it for about 2/3 of cost.
    "I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." - Edgar Allan Poe

I have one on my DVR XP but have not used it except to try it out. Very stable but for thinner turnings as Bob said.
    I have seen the tool rest post used to hold a very functional side table / shelf.....
    Peter F.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Fabricius View Post
    I have seen the tool rest post used to hold a very functional side table / shelf.....
    Peter F.
    Never thought of that.... mine holds the vacuum chuck pipe and assembly (when not in use)
    Making sawdust mostly, sometimes I get something else, but that is more by accident then design.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Hamilton View Post
    ... It is very stable but as I recall there wasn't a whole lot of reach away from the face of the blank. It would be good for large platters and very shallow bowls but it seems to me that the rest couldn't be any more than ~5" away from the face of the chuck, so it wouldn't allow a deep bowl blank. There is probably a very good reason for that.....

Bob
    Thanks for that post Bob. I've been considering picking up a DVR when (if) Woodcraft puts them on sale again primarily due to the
    swivel head stock so I can work in front of the lathe. (due to tight workspace mostly.) Gives me something to think about.
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

Thanks everyone for your insights.
    I have in mind to try some larger radius off-centre turnings (on boards) for which the ~5" limitation noted by Bob should not be a problem.
    Michelle's using it with a stool appeals too.

However it seems that you really must have an ongoing desire to turn larger diameter things for the outrigger to be worth getting. It would seem that for most of you it doesn't inspire you to new works that you would not otherwise do.

Good advice to mull over and make me have sober second thoughts before I spend the money.

Thanks again
    John