Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Beginner woodshop - recommendations for first tools?

Have a browse of Jim Tolpin's excellent "The New traditional woodworker".

He's an experienced professional cabinet maker, teacher and author.
    Simple approaches with basic tools in his method.

FYI - No tablesaw required, bandsaw recommended.
    Last edited by Jim Matthews; 04-04-2014 at 6:39 PM.

i forgot to mention a small compressor. useful for blowing things clear, small nailer/stapler etc.

Wow, as predicted, my list is getting longer! I picked up a couple of plastic sawhorses at the Tillamook lumber store today, along with three 6" Quik Grip pistol grips that were on sale for $4.99 ea. I'll check out the local community college to see if they offer anything, as well as Tolpin's book. I have a 24" Accu-rip I bought a long time ago - it got its first use on my bookcase, really like the look of the Kreg better though so it's going on the list along with most of the other things you all have suggested!

4. Followed this thread.. I'm also beginner

Quote Originally Posted by dawn villaescusa View Post
    Wow, as predicted, my list is getting longer! I picked up a couple of plastic sawhorses at the Tillamook lumber store today, along with three 6" Quik Grip pistol grips that were on sale for $4.99 ea. I'll check out the local community college to see if they offer anything, as well as Tolpin's book. I have a 24" Accu-rip I bought a long time ago - it got its first use on my bookcase, really like the look of the Kreg better though so it's going on the list along with most of the other things you all have suggested!
    Be careful, it is easy to become an addict, if you are not one already? I love all my tools and over the years I have come to a conclusion that it is usually better to get quality tools. I do not frequent Harbor Freight, there is one in our town and I have never been. But contrary to my statement, I have several friends who would fall into the quality tool fanatic category and they own some HF tools and have been very pleased with them. Chat forums are a good source for information as well. One tool that my mom got for me years ago was a Roto-Zip, I think that tools is very easy for a novice to use, especially when cutting circles in plywood, whether tracing a line or using their circle cut-out guide, and cutting countertops. That being said I also do not feel that the Roto-Zip is a direct replacement for any of my other tools, it just works better in some situations and that may also be a personal preference type thing.

Good luck!!