Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Looking to get a Band Saw

I have both a Rockwell 1960's version home made stand, and a Delta similar vintage but with open stand, almost identical in every other way. I would love to have that Art Deco base, very cool looking First saw took me 6 months or so of looking and the second saw about 1 year. The First Saw I acquired was the Rockwell and the 2nd saw the delta. Now I grant you that I'm on the other coast but pricing seems to be similar. Our local Craigslist currently has my same Rockwell and asking $500, On average I see them listed for about $300 - $375 which I think is a very fair price depending on the condition of the overall saw and the wear items: tires, throat plates, guide bushings.... BTW I'd keep the light on the Delta, yes you can get a lot for them but they sure do help seeing what you are doing

This is what I paid and what I put into each saw to make them functional: ( I don't count the cost of blades as those for me are considered disposables)

My link to the Rockwell on this forum:
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...saw&highlight=

Rockwell: 1967 ish Paid $145 Total with repairs $320
    $50 New tires
    $45 New upper wheel
    $20 New switch, power cable
    $30 New Link belt
    $10 Misc.
    $20 Mobile base

1/2 hp motor
    Fence

Delta: 1943 ish Paid $100 Total with repairs $257
    $50 New tires
    $30 New Bearings on top wheel
    $30 New Link Belt
    $15 replaced front upper blade guard
    $2 New plug
    $10 Misc.
    $20 Mobile Base

1/4hp motor
    No Fence

If you want / need the saw right away I'd look at the Delta, as previously stated it will be around a long time. Or like what I did just keep your eyes open and be prepared to jump fast. One way that I was able to snag the 2nd saw at that price was the following: Do your search on Craigslist at the top level, not in tools. Sometimes these saws show up under business or antiques. Search for both "Band Saw" and "Bandsaw" you will get different results. I'd check a couple times per week. Thursday nights seem pretty good as most folks try to get things listed for the weekend.

Good luck!
    Randy...

I would buy new and get the grizzly. I took rehabbed and old delta homecraft 10 in saw and felt in the end I still have and inferior machine and spent too much money fixing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Howe View Post
    I took rehabbed and old delta homecraft 10 in saw and felt in the end I still have and inferior machine and spent too much money fixing it.
    I agree that the 10" homecraft line may be lacking, but those 14" cast iron saws built in the US until ~2001 or so, are the standard from which all other 14" clones were copied from. Totally in a different league. I have 2 Delta US built 14" enclosed cabinet bandsaws with 1HP motors and risers and they are rock solid. I have even been able to properly tension a 3/4" carbide toothed blade and resaw hardwoods with great results.
    Dick Mahany.

Found this one. It's about 1.5hrs from me but the seller says he will do $130. It's an AMT which I have read was a Delta clone a few years back. He says it runs well.
    http://allentown.craigslist.org/tls/4405414606.html

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Matthews View Post
    I would have a good look at the condition and effectiveness of the guides included.

They're not the most important part of a saw (I would say the blade is most important)
    but they can be a nuisance if they're damaged, bent or misaligned.

$400 for an ancient Delta is steep, given that motors like these
    are likely contaminated by dust over the years.

My guess is that the seller thinks it's some kind of collector's item.

Beware - replacement motors are hideously expensive.
    BS. That saw with a cast iron base IS a collectors item, and a darned fine saw. I wouldn't hessitate 1 minute to buy one for $400.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Wolfe View Post
    Found this one. It's about 1.5hrs from me but the seller says he will do $130. It's an AMT which I have read was a Delta clone a few years back. He says it runs well.
    I'd pass. Dude has a poster of Keystone Light up on his garage wall, I'm sure his idea of "good shape" would not match mine. He can't even be bothered to take a photo of the front.

Get a Delta/Rockwell. The two you've got on this thread would be fine and the prices aren't bad assuming there's wiggle room.
    I got cash in my pocket. I got desire in my heart....

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Wolfe View Post
    I have one of those that I bought brand new 30 years ago and still use it. It's an "ok" saw, but definitely not a Delta.

Quote Originally Posted by Judson Green View Post
    I'd pass. Dude has a poster of Keystone Light up on his garage wall, I'm sure his idea of "good shape" would not match mine. He can't even be bothered to take a photo of the front.

Get a Delta/Rockwell. The two you've got on this thread would be fine and the prices aren't bad assuming there's wiggle room.
    HA! Almost like taking advice from someone with a bull tongue avatar

I'm going to call the old delta Rockwell guy this afternoon to see if I can't him down to $350 or lower. Worse come to worse, I can just wait. No real big deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Myk Rian View Post
    BS. That saw with a cast iron base IS a collectors item, and a darned fine saw. I wouldn't hessitate 1 minute to buy one for $400.
    There's daily drives and "Daddy Toys" that get polished with a diaper on weekends.
    For a first saw - it's a step backward from utility and into "What piece of unobtanium broke today?"

It's folly to instruct newbies to take on antiques, if what they want is a tool to use.

The saw linked to is complete, and ready to go.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Itura told me recently that the Delta riser kits are no longer available so you might check that out. I have an old Rockwell Delta without riser, but do not have plans to add. A larger motor would be nice.

So I am heading to pick up a bandsaw tomorrow. Getting it from a fellow creeker here. I will need to lay it down because I'll be moving it in a minivan. I plan on removing the table before I transport it so I don't risk cracking the trunion mounts. I plan on laying it on it's back/spine. Any thoughts or other things I should know?

Thats exactly how I transported mine. Took off the table and laid it down on its back. Tied it into the pickup bed so that it couldn't rotate. Pretty much it. Congrats on the new old saw! Which one did you decide on getting?

Randy...

congratulations!
    I got cash in my pocket. I got desire in my heart....

Take off the table, first.

The trunions supporting the table may not
    be strong enough to hold the rest of the saw
    while lifting.

DAMHIKT