Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I'm in love....laser love.

I'm in love....laser love.

I have been playing around with my new laser over the last week. It is so exciting! It has been about three years since I discovered that "normal people" owned lasers. (Ok, perhaps "normal" is stretching the truth at times, but I mean members of the general public, not just top-secret laboratories. ) :) I actually purchased a ULS 25e a couple of years ago, but it turned out to be a very, very heavy table to pile junk on in a corner of my studio as I could never get it working. (Is there a market for any of the parts?) Anyway, now that I have finally got a working laser I am happily engraving and cutting everything within reach.

My main reason for purchasing the laser is to make jewelry. I make my living as a potter and I have a studio/shop where I sell my work to visitors that come to our island (Cape Breton,Nova Scotia) so I already have a retail space and the customer base. I also have a little used bookstore in the shop and I make stuff out of hard cover books that are damaged or unwanted. Up until now I have found a use for everything except the covers. Now I am cutting through the covers and they are surprisingly sturdy! With one coat of polyurethane for protection they look great. I will make them into pendants, earrings brooches, etc. I'm still trying to figure out the ultimate settings to cut through them with the least mess. The edges are very sooty, but that wipes off fairly cleanly. I find I need high power and very low speed to cut through. Right now I am mostly cutting silhouettes, but I also am playing with engraving designs onto them. I need to find the right setting to just burn away that top coating of paper to leave a nice pale line, not a burned one.

Anyway, just wanted to share what I'm working on. There are so many things to learn! I am still struggling with getting my illustrations from the paper to the lasercut software, but I have had a small bit of success with that and I know I will get there. I'm also interested in playing around with some of my glazed pottery to see if I can make any changes in the glaze colours with the laser. I have engraved into a glaze piece, through the glaze, but I'd like to actually be able to affect the glaze itself, rather than just removing it.

Thanks to everyone who helped me out in my last thread. Nice to finally be a laser owner, rather than just dreaming about it! I'll post some photos of the jewellery soon.
    Logilase Prime 40w

Mac OSX Lion and Snow Leopard
    Windows 7

Photoshop CS6
    Illustrator CS6
    Corel (I try!)

I'm new to the laser stuff as well... it's fun isn't it! please post up some photos of your book covers you have lased as well please. Those sound neat.
    Keith Upton
    Aerodrome Accessories
    Epilog Mini 24 - 60w

Blog Entries
    Sarah,

This thread is worthless without pics

I'm interested in seeing what you're creating with the books, and I'm sure others are, as well.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

See, I put myself out there, in a public forum, and already by my second thread I am worthless. Yes, I know, I will get pics as soon as I can! Right now we are busy trying to dig out from the 3 feet of snow we got over the last few days (on top of the 2 feet we already have). But I promise, pics to come.
    Logilase Prime 40w

Mac OSX Lion and Snow Leopard
    Windows 7

Photoshop CS6
    Illustrator CS6
    Corel (I try!)

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Hintz View Post
    Sarah,

This thread is worthless without pics
    And Dan should know! Can you imagine trying to review the receipt and setup of a new Trotec without posting any pictures??? Not even after weeks and weeks have passed by? Talk about worthless ;^)

Quote Originally Posted by sarah beck View Post
    See, I put myself out there, in a public forum, and already by my second thread I am worthless. Yes, I know, I will get pics as soon as I can! Right now we are busy trying to dig out from the 3 feet of snow we got over the last few days (on top of the 2 feet we already have). But I promise, pics to come.
    It's easier to tunnel through
    Keith Upton
    Aerodrome Accessories
    Epilog Mini 24 - 60w

Aw snap! Called out again Dan!
    Welcome Sarah, looking forward to seeing some examples as well.
    Universal PLS 6.120D 75 watt
    MutiCam Apex CNC 4'x8' w 6 bit TC.
    EnrRoute 6 Pro 3d software.
    Vision 2550 Rotary Engraver.

Note to Sarah -

Sarah -

I sure do admire your enthusiasm 'bout your new laser engraving capabilities! - never let it wane! I believe that in business - "passion" drives the engine! Okay profit, too. BTW: I Googled Cape Breton: what' a beautiful place! (No need to tell me 'bout digging out' a snow; I live in Northern Minnesota: for 3 feet we use wisp brooms. Your jewelry making made me think of my Mom; we lived 'n Florida many years ago. She supplemented our family income painting, and glittering, very tiny seahorses 'n starfish - making 'em into clip-on ear rings 'n lapel pins. Anyway .... a fond memory.
    A steep learning curb makes life interesting. After 8 years, not a day passes that I am not learning something new 'n helpful 'bout engraving. Or, coming up with 'new idea middle 'o the night. Image you will too. (how 'bout engraving thin wood bookmarks with your business' name - hand 'em out?)
    One thought 'fore I forget: Don't forget to back-up your files externally! And, hopefully, you'll find plenty of "how to" information on YouTube videos; I do. BTW: Hey Dan - I want' a see Sarah's pictures, too - but, for some of us plowing 'n shoveling comes first!
    Have fun, Sarah ... and, good luck.

Bill

It's interesting I ran across this post. This is my first peek inside the Engraver's Forum. A few months ago I got into guitar building and fell in love. A couple of days ago I saw a picture a luthier posted of a guitar headstock he had laser engraved. I really liked it. I had never seen that done before and it got me thinking.

I'm looking forward to seeing your pictures, Sarah, and to learning more about laser engraving.

Julie

10. A couple of days ago I saw a picture a luthier posted of a guitar headstock he had laser engraved.
    I'd love to see this — do you have a link?
    Shenhui G460 60-Watt

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Glen Monaghan View Post
    And Dan should know! Can you imagine trying to review the receipt and setup of a new Trotec without posting any pictures??? Not even after weeks and weeks have passed by? Talk about worthless ;^)
    Could someone help me? I have this sharp pain in my back... probably from the knife sticking into it

Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Quote Originally Posted by John Calhoun View Post
    I'd love to see this — do you have a link?
    I can't remember which guitar forum I saw it on but I did a Google search for laser engraved headstocks just now and was surprised how many there were. Guess it's not as unique as I thought it was.

Blog Entries
    Julie,

A Laser is often used to inlay on a guitar as well. Though the units can have difficulty with the Fret board depending on what wood it is. Ebony and Blackwood and what not can be difficult to cut in the extreme based on what we are hearing in other posts about those woods.
    900x600 80watt EFR Tube laser from Liaocheng Ray Fine Tech LTD. Also a 900x600 2.5kw spindle CNC from Ray Fine. And my main tool, a well used and loved Jet 1642 Woodlathe with an outboard toolrest that helps me work from 36 inch diameters down to reallllllly tiny stuff.

Without a picture of the knife, your post is worthless.

Bruce
    Hardware: Chinese Laser
    GWeike C1290 80 watt Reci laser
    Home built CNC, Joe's hybrid 4x4
    12" Delta Bandsaw, Jet Table Saw
    Router table, and more.
    Software: CorelDraw Suite 5x
    PhotoShop 7,

Sarah,

I can totally relate to what you are going through. I have the same feeling about my laser as well. Its the best thing that I have ever bought. And all thanks to the wonderfull people on this forum. The laser and this forum allowed me to take a dive into this new world and I am loving every moment of it.

So experiment by putting everything in your laser that you can afford to damage ( be safe though )!

Regards
    Khalid
    Shenhui 80W RECI (600mm x 900mm)
    Corel X5