Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: American Beauty Delivered - not without some excitement

American Beauty Delivered - not without some excitement

Well UPS freight delivered my beast yesterday afternoon. This thing is the heaviest item in my shop next to my 12" jointer which weighs in at 1050 lbs. I had paid for liftgate service and the driver was kind enough to wheel the pallet jack down to my shop and place the crate there. I showed my appreciation with a $20 bill and a can of Coke. However, getting the crate off the truck was a bit anxiety producing.

The crate is/was longer than it is wide while the liftgate was just the opposite. I bet you know where this tale is headed. As he was bringing the crate onto the liftgate, due to the dimensions of the liftgate, he was also trying to turn the crate 90 degrees at the same time. Mind you, the liftgate at this point is like five feet above the ground. Anyway, in the process of making the 90 degree turn, the wheels at the operators end of the pallet jack slid off the liftgate!!! Yikes. In my mind's eye I saw that crate (with my AB inside) falling five feet to the the street. Luckily, that didn't happen, but it sure got my heart rate to jump!! Whew!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Glen Blanchard; 04-03-2014 at 2:33 PM.
    Regards,

Glen

Woodworking: It's a joinery.

2. I look at that [drool ] and it really is a "beautiful" thing! Glad she didn't get a scratch! Your bed configuration...........interesting that your legs are not on then ends where the headstock is. I turned on a friends AB, and he had his at the ends...........any particular reason for your choice to do it the way you have it in the picture? [just curious! ]
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

I noticed the leg set up as well. Mine has the bed extension as well, and the legs are on the far ends. The 2 foot extension shouldn't be a problem with the motor on it, though when I asked Brent about mine, as I was wanting the extension on the tailstock end, so I wouldn't have to straddle the legs when bowl turning at that end, he was concerned that it might be a bit much with tailstock added to the extension. Hmm, maybe I need to set mine up that way.....

robo hippy

Glad to see it's all ok!!!!!!! But why is there wood in the chuck and no curly's ?
    Comments and Constructive Criticism Welcome

Haste in every craft or business brings failures. Herodotus,450 B.C.

Boy, that is a thing of beauty all right. Enjoy for the rest of us OK?!

I would never get a tool like that all dirty with wood shavings! Pristine!
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

7. Man that is a sweet looking rig. Ah....someday!
    “All my best thoughts were stolen by the ancients.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson

Glen - Congrats on your new Beauty! You are going to love everything about it!! Have fun!!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

congratulations and enjoy

That thing is sweet! Now we need a picture with a big ol' log set up on it!

Enjoy it in good health and for a very long time.
    faust

Congratulations on a Great lathe! Hmm I can see some Monster pieces of tree on there. I can only hope some day at this point.

It's a beauty for sure. I had to do a double take when I saw the drive on the bed extension end. I know that I wanted the drive on my Powermatic 3520B over the bed and not hanging out to amplify any out of balance action wagging the tailstock end and somewhat have equal loading on all mount points. I use the extension as a tailstock rest since I don't have a swing-a-way and I'm jealous. I don't think that you would unload the tailstock feet, but definitely make it less stable with large unbalanced loads.

What a beautiful machine!!

Congrats! Nice machine. Maybe I can get one someday as an early retirement present....that is before I retire....
    Thank you,

Rich Aldrich

65 miles SE of Steve Schlumpf.

"To a pessimist, the glass is half empty; to an optimist, the glass is half full; to an engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be." Unknown author