Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Show Us Your Hand Tool Organizers

Quote Originally Posted by gary Zimmel View Post
    Mine took a while to build but it still puts a smile on my face every time I walk into my shop...

Attachment 286432

This corner of my shop is dedicated to hand tools.
    Except for the LV sharpener in the corner
    WOW! Magnificent seems like an insult!

I have two very personal questions which I hope don't seem rude.

First, I built a workshop in my garage that I brings me pride (although in no way comparable to what you have done). I carefully designed each piece - workbench, saw station table for an EZ track saw, router table - and incorporated stuff I already had - mechanic's tool chests (one of which is filled with mostly mechanic tools), an old solid wood dresser (the drawer base under my workbench), a wide drop-leaf table to act as an assembly table, and LOTS of storage (15' of 7' tall industrial shelving, an old IBM card cabinet for all my hardware, wood rack, peg board on most open walls, a 30-drawer cabinet I bought from a carpenter's estate, etc.).

I repaired some things, built a couple of things, and then stopped doing much with it. My 12-18 month attention span had been reached. And/or, the real challenge and goal was the workshop itself. (My braniac 28-year-old son had predicted I would lose interest as soon as I was "done.")

Question 1: Does this apply to you at all? Your creation is simply so outstanding, it must have been a major goal in itself. And, FWIW, I think this is one of the best "man caves" I have ever seen even if you never use it for woodworking.

Question 2: Can you show pictures of the rest of your shop? Can you describe what sort of space and setting you have for your shop? I would anticipate this "corner" you have shown is the shops heart and soul, but I am curious about the rest.

And thank you for showing us what you have done!
    ----------
    My workshop is in total chaos so no pictures. Soon, as I get back into WW.
    Doug, the "Wood Loon"
    Acton, MA

72, slow road cyclist, woodworking dabbler, tool junkie , and
    bonsai enthusiast.
    Now, if I could just stay focused longer than a few weeks...

Quote Originally Posted by steven c newman View Post
    Don't have all that much to organize, but i do have a box to store things not in use on the bench what one sees when the lid is open remove the top three trays install the slider install the tote tray. I don't really have a lot of room down in the Dungeon Shop, so the box tended to be a bit small but it is about the right height that I can sit down and saw some dovetails
    Attachment 286401 This is it for the room I have to work in.....
    Superb! Very clever, very compact, and you protect the steel and iron from moisture in the air.
    Doug, the "Wood Loon"
    Acton, MA

72, slow road cyclist, woodworking dabbler, tool junkie , and
    bonsai enthusiast.
    Now, if I could just stay focused longer than a few weeks...

Harold, I will try to post a picture or two of my tool storage today, that will make you feel better, I promise.
    Paul

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gary Zimmel View Post
    Mine took a while to build but it still puts a smile on my face every time I walk into my shop...
    Whatever you do, DON'T look at Gary Zimmel's shop . . . . Doh! TOO LATE!

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Shea View Post
    Gary,

I've seen you post your tool storage before but never actually realized all the hand tools inside. That is the most impressive piece of tool storage I've ever seen. That must've taken some serious amounts of time. I am truly in awe of it.
    I like Gary's layout so much I smile every time he walks into it.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Steve Rozmeiark I showed your set up to my fiancee she said I can't buy anymore tools at the risk of it getting out of hand... thanks lol

To quote her, "what do we do when your dream is my nightmare" hahaha

I'm about to bring this thread back down to earth
    Last edited by maximillian arango; 04-11-2014 at 11:13 PM.

If I get a few request I'll show you guys my plane till too hahahahahahahaha, I don't think that should be posted I feel like I'll get a brick with a note thrown through my window if I do that. I promise that I will make a real saw till as soon as my joints look cleaner and I'm done with all my papers. Till then enjoy the saw till

Attachment 287021

at least its made out of cardboard so its almost like wood

lmao^^^^^ someday I will make a proper storage cabinet Maybe after I finish up my proper bench !! which I am by the way working on!!

Glad you found it funny this thread was making me put my head in the ground.

I made saw horses that I was too embarrassed to post so they ended up as fire wood to cook up some chicken I will have a second try in a week or two and take my time

no need to put your head in the ground I have made plenty of tooth picks over the years I have learn two things in my path ! take your time and take your time.....projects that I have rushed... tooth picks... projects that I have taken my time with and only worked on them when I was able to focus on the task at hand well they turned out to be wonderful gifts!! well most of them anyway...nobody built rome in a day and im sure we cant either!!

Quote Originally Posted by Harold Burrell View Post
    Is that a router I see on your bench???

Stone him...
    LOL, I was hoping no one would notice that..

Think of it as an illustration of how much better those molding planes are!

Quote Originally Posted by maximillian arango View Post
    Steve Rozmeiark I showed your set up to my fiancee she said I can't buy anymore tools at the risk of it getting out of hand... thanks lol

To quote her, "what do we do when your dream is my nightmare" hahaha

I'm about to bring this thread back down to earth
    Well, it's a very long process to get our better halves to accept this sort of thing. She is right of course, it inevitably gets out of hand (they are always right of course...), so my technique may help you. When you first move into a new house, immediately fill the garage with an incomprehensible pile of stuff. Doesn't really matter what, they don't notice that, then over time organize the chaos and blend in a couple hundred new tools. They tend to just be happy that it's not such a mess anymore. At least for a while. One flaw to the plan, you do have to change shops periodically to remind them how bad it can be.

I'm curious what you posted, I can't see the pic.

Blog Entries
    The plus side of a hand tool shop is that it does not necessarily need to be large.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Awesome! This is amazing, I wish I had the patience and discipline, or let me say, I hope the day comes sooner than later that I start doing.

Great looking stuff George. Did you stamp your name in the riffler's before or after you made them? Would after distort the finished product?

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Rozmiarek View Post
    Well, it's a very long process to get our better halves to accept this sort of thing. She is right of course, it inevitably gets out of hand (they are always right of course...), so my technique may help you. When you first move into a new house, immediately fill the garage with an incomprehensible pile of stuff. Doesn't really matter what, they don't notice that, then over time organize the chaos and blend in a couple hundred new tools. They tend to just be happy that it's not such a mess anymore. At least for a while. One flaw to the plan, you do have to change shops periodically to remind them how bad it can be.

I'm curious what you posted, I can't see the pic.
    I have buckets full of sockets and other auto tools that are now under our bed in my closet in the coat closet and in other locations lol I'm running out of places to hide them I'm going to need a garage soon.

I posted my saw till anyone who seen the picture my disagree lol I may host it externally if I get the chance