Thread: Twice turned bowl finish cuts

Twice turned bowl finish cuts

Another clip from me. I was working on a bowl turning DVD, and decided it was just too much work to do the whole video sales thing. More to come.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HrbA9ps-sTA

robo hippy

Ya know Reed.....you're a pretty good teacher. You talk through what you're doing and go kind of slow. Who ever does your camera, does well also. Thanks for another good video. and look forward to the next.

Great video. Really liked how you showed how to do it with a lot of different tools.

Very nice, Reed. Appreciated!

Another great vid Robo. I was waiting for a verdict though. Which one do you think leaves the best finish???
    Do or do not, there is no try.

Very cool. Thanks for sharing. You working on one for the inside? I have a bowl just waiting for me to try some of your techniques!

Well Lee, I most likely do, but not sure where it is. The trick is the entry cut at the rim. I think I show that briefly in one of the clips already up, but don't talk about it. I ended up with 8 hours worth if edited material, and my film guy, after almost 2 years, is digging it all up.

Any way, with the entry cut, some cheat and use a thin parting tool to start the cut. It does work. You want your gouge bevel pointing straight down the wall of the bowl, so your handle, if the clock is flat on the lathe (noon at the headstock, 6 o'clock at the tailstock) would be at about 4 o'clock. If you try to come in from the 8 o'clock position, it skates off the rim.

robo hippy