Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ultimate dream woodshop

House too big, shop too small....... OK, maybe that is just me.

Before you spend a lot of work moving Oleanders, you might want to investigate Leaf Scorch Disease to see if they have any chance of surviving long term. I'm not familiar with your area but would guess it is unlikely.

Since your drawings are in CA x2, let me know if you want me to render them in my x6 to see if it makes them more realistic.
    Last edited by Greg R Bradley; 04-10-2014 at 3:36 PM.

2. Gary,
    my sincerest complements to you for your life choices and reaping the rewards of your hard work and good decisions. The only thing I could add would be to reiterate the space concerns. I am slowly outfitting a 1200 ft shop and it seems woefully crowded.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg R Bradley View Post
    House too big, shop too small....... OK, maybe that is just me.

Before you spend a lot of work moving Oleanders, you might want to investigate Leaf Scorch Disease to see if they have any chance of surviving long term. I'm not familiar with your area but would guess it is unlikely. Since your drawings are in CA x2, let me know if you want me to render them in my x6 to see if it makes them more realistic.
    OK, call me a little slow but what is CA X2 and X6? And yes, if it improves them. Thanks!!!

Comments....

I really appreciate all your comments on my new shop. I thought a 1,200 square foot shop (four car garage) would have been more than enough room but am hearing from you that it may not be. Now that was a surprise! Maybe I need to sell my 40 foot Monaco motor home then use that space for woodworking. Hummmmmmm.......
    Thanks,
    Gary

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Salisbury View Post
    OK, call me a little slow but what is CA X2 and X6? And yes, if it improves them. Thanks!!!
    The drawings posted on Pinterest all say "Chief Architect x2....." I assumed you used Chief Architect x2 to do the drawings. Perhaps they were drawn by someone else. Re-reading your post, I see it says you hired an Architect.

CA x2 is now 4 major revisions out of date and the later ones render better. I also saw some issues with some of the 3D views like some floating trusses.
    Last edited by Greg R Bradley; 04-11-2014 at 8:53 PM.

Two words: Overhead hoist. One that can travel along both the x and y axes would be preferable.

I've always decided that if I built a dedicated workshop, as I get older, I can't get along without one. Can be used to help position machines, carry heavy lumber, large jigs, set up equipment like a cyclone, etc.

I think Alan Schafter built one in his shop. I know someone had a barn workshop where they installed one that rode out on a beam to where a pickup truck could carry lumber. He lifts it up, and carries it to a loft for storage.

I've got two dedicated stationary ones in my workshop. One is used to store a very heavy, bulky crosscut sled. I lower the sled when I need to use it on the table saw, then store it out of the way. The second I used to put together my SawStop, jointer, and bandsaw. I would love one that travels anywhere in the ceiling of the shop.
    Last edited by Alan Lightstone; 04-13-2014 at 9:51 AM.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Lightstone View Post
    Two words: Overhead hoist. One that can travel along both the x and y axes would be preferable.

Another two words -- shop sink.

Besides making my wife happy that I'm not getting paint all over the kitchen when I need to clean paint rollers and paint trays, I just find myself doing a lot of cleanup at the sink -- from woodworking or gardening. I'm in the process of of fixing up this area. I painted and tiled, and ready to trim it out. I need to add a towel bar. A paper towel dispenser is to the right of the sink, out of view in this picture.

shop-sink.jpg
    Last edited by Lee Reep; 04-12-2014 at 12:52 PM.

I may have missed it but you should include a dedicated (at least some clear counter space) First Aid facility.

And yes, it's too small. I went from about 225 sq feet to about 5,500 sq feet and still want more.
    Last edited by george newbury; 04-12-2014 at 5:29 PM.
    Setting up a workshop, from standing tree to bookshelves

Quote Originally Posted by Greg R Bradley View Post
    The drawings posted on Pinterest all say "Chief Architect x2....." I assumed you used Chief Architect x2 to do the drawings. Perhaps they were drawn by someone else. Re-reading your post, I see it says you hired an Architect.

CA x2 is now 4 major revisions out of date and the later ones render better. I also saw some issues with some of the 3D views like some floating trusses.
    Oh yes, Chief Architect. (My mind was in park.) My architect did use it. What do you need to re-render them? The .PLAN file? I do have that. Can you email me at gdis46@gmail.com? That would be wonderful.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Lightstone View Post

I've always decided that if I built a dedicated workshop, as I get older, I can't get along without one. Can be used to help position machines, carry heavy lumbar, large jigs, set up equipment like a cyclone, etc.

I think Alan Schafter built one in his shop. I know someone had a barn workshop where they installed one that rode out on a beam to where a pickup truck could carry lumber. He lifts it up, and carries it to a loft for storage.

I've got two dedicated stationary ones in my workshop. One is used to store a very heavy, bulky crosscut sled. I lower the sled when I need to use it on the table saw, then store it out of the way. The second I used to put together my SawStop, jointer, and bandsaw. I would love one that travels anywhere in the ceiling of the shop.
    You know, I was thinking about that. The two beams that run side to side in the shop are metal I-beams so I wonder if they would support a chain hoist?

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Reep View Post
    Another two words -- shop sink.
    I thought of that but didn't know where to put it. What do you think about replacing the sink in the downstairs bathroom with a utility sink like a farm style apron sink? Or maybe in the front of the RV barn? A neighbor suggested plumbing for a washer & dryer there would be helpful when coming home from a fishing trip so fishy smelling clothes didn't have to go into the house.

Quote Originally Posted by bruce Humphrey View Post
    Gary,
    my sincerest complements to you for your life choices and reaping the rewards of your hard work and good decisions. The only thing I could add would be to reiterate the space concerns. I am slowly outfitting a 1200 ft shop and it seems woefully crowded.
    I don't know how I could get anymore space since I am maxed out on zoning restrictions right now other than selling the RV and converting that space. I'll call that option 1 just in case....

I don't know how I could get anymore space since I am maxed out on zoning restrictions right now ...
    If you can move your major storage, such as wood and sheet goods, out of the shop space somehow that would help a lot.

What do you think about replacing the sink in the downstairs bathroom with a utility sink like a farm style apron sink?
    I think that's a great idea. It doesn't even have to be a farm-style sink. Just a laundry tub-style basin would work. Big enough for cleaning up painting stuff and filling buckets.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott T Smith View Post
    + 1. My main shop is 50 x 60, with another 1800 sq. ft devoted to lumber storage, dust collection, and other ancillary needs. 1,200 sq. ft sounds much too small for what you are proposing.

Congrats on having the opportunity to put your dream shop together!
    HOLY Shiitake MUSHROOMS! 4,800 square feet??? Dude! You are my hero!
    Last edited by Gary Salisbury; 04-14-2014 at 11:46 AM.