Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Redimensioning Lumber

Blog Entries
    Just curious what type of wood the 9 deg rake is used for, or if it would be fairly generic.
    Roger,

That is pretty much a generic use saw. It is used in just about any wood from pine to purple heart. 9º is about as relaxed as one wants on a rip saw. Lately my saws are getting a bit more aggressive by being filed at 5º rake for rip saws.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Thanks, Jim. I have a a couple of rip saws filed at 5 that I use for dimensioning wood. A plane will cure any rough finish. I have some 4/4 and 5/4 stock (random width 4 to 7 inches) that I may try resawing by hand. I will set up one of the saws between 7 and 9 degrees.

Quote Originally Posted by bridger berdel View Post
    how much do you need to take off, and do you hsve a use for the piece remaining?
    1/4" off of each face of 2x6 pine, to be used for a benchtop. I have no use for the removed wood.
    Eric Gracka

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro Reyes View Post
    Eric, What is the end product? A table top? Aprons? From what I understand, you don't care about the wood you remove (can all be planed away as opposed to resaw). 1/2" on a 2"x8"- 8 foot board is a lot of wood. Do you need the piece to be 1" specifically? (that's what a 2x8 will end up after you take 1/2" - Texas math, don't ask). Why not just S4S it by hand (scrub, jack, jointer if all needed), figure out what the dimension ends up being and work around that.

/p
    Hi Pedro:

It should have read:

"On one project I want to remove 1/4" off of both faces of 2x6's. The material is 8 foot 2x6 pine. If I use a scrub plane, I intend to smooth with a #5 and true with a #6."

The wood will be used for a 8' x 3' x 5" benchtop (wood is laid on edge, and I am removing 1/4" off of each face so they can be glued and screwed properly).
    Eric Gracka

Blog Entries
    I have no use for the removed wood.
    Is it legal to have wood stoves in your area?

Know anyone that has one?

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Gracka View Post
    Hi Pedro:

It should have read:

"On one project I want to remove 1/4" off of both faces of 2x6's. The material is 8 foot 2x6 pine. If I use a scrub plane, I intend to smooth with a #5 and true with a #6."

The wood will be used for a 8' x 3' x 5" benchtop (wood is laid on edge, and I am removing 1/4" off of each face so they can be glued and screwed properly).
    Eric, 2x6and2x8 from the BORGs have heavily radiused corners, I would start at the edges (not faces) with your #5 then a jointer (your #6 if that's what you have) and then see how far from getting a glue face you are, I think at this point all you'll need is to joint the faces, I would not call that redimensioning.

If I may suggest, if you can get 2x12s, these boards IMO, can be ripped in 3, removing the area around the pith in the middle and ending up with 2 quartersawn boards about 2x 4-1/2, which is plenty thick for a bench top. Then you would simply joint edges and faces. You do have to pick thru the boards to find some like that, but very doable. Just me.

/p

Eric,

Please do not use screws in your benchtop glueup. Glue alone is more than strong enough. There is a law that says there will always be a crew wherever you need to drill a hole.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro Reyes View Post
    Eric, 2x6and2x8 from the BORGs have heavily radiused corners, I would start at the edges (not faces) with your #5 then a jointer (your #6 if that's what you have) and then see how far from getting a glue face you are, I think at this point all you'll need is to joint the faces, I would not call that redimensioning.

If I may suggest, if you can get 2x12s, these boards IMO, can be ripped in 3, removing the area around the pith in the middle and ending up with 2 quartersawn boards about 2x 4-1/2, which is plenty thick for a bench top. Then you would simply joint edges and faces. You do have to pick thru the boards to find some like that, but very doable. Just me.

/p
    Thank you for the suggestion - I think you just saved me a lot of grief.
    Eric Gracka

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Putnam View Post
    Eric,

Please do not use screws in your benchtop glueup. Glue alone is more than strong enough. There is a law that says there will always be a crew wherever you need to drill a hole.
    Thank you for the advise - the screws are now gone. Is Titebond III the way to go, or is there another effective/cheaper glue.
    Eric Gracka

I used a few screws in glue-up on my benchtop, but only to help compensate for a lack of clamps. The screws were removed after each successive glue-up (I did the top in stages, initially by face-gluing two benchtop slabs I got off craigslist to reach a thickness I thought I wanted, and then adding some more strips.

Curt is right though - there will always be at least one place you want a hole where there is a screw - even if you though you removed all the screws! Guess how I know this . . .
    " Be willing to make mistakes in your basements, garages, apartments and palaces. I have made many. Your first attempts may be poor. They will not be futile. " - M.S. Bickford, Mouldings In Practice