Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Redimensioning Lumber

Redimensioning Lumber

To redimension lumber, store-bought or otherwise, would you recommend re-sawing, or the use of a scrub plane?

Thanks

2. how much do you need to take off, and do you hsve a use for the piece remaining?

Resawing a board longer than 2 feet, or wider than 10 inches is a challenge that I've yet to
    master after three years of trying. I would only resaw when I want to bookmatch the grain
    of a particular board on the face of something.

Otherwise, it's more difficult than I care to casually tackle.

If you're flattening rough stock from 6/4 down to 4/4 (or less) a scrub plane works fast.
    It's not easy, either - but it's not intended to be precise.

What kind of lumber is involved? I mainly resaw the expensive stuff...

I do it the way Bob demonstrates in the video below; things are explained around 2:00.

http://blip.tv/hand-tools-techniques...square-4252453

Bandsaw if at or over 1/4" (6mm) thickness of waste needs to be removed even if it is just at shorter areas of the plank to take the high spots off to make it straighter. unless the plank with over 6mm is difficult to maneuver onto the bandsaw for some reason then scrub it as well. You can even kerf the area to be taken down with a circular saw or hand saw and then scrub.

If under 6mm waste thickness then scrub plane .

Keep in mind that when handling heavy planks, say 80 lb and more, that the drill press table makes an excellent out feed support for resaw like work. Turn the table to the side to clear the head of the machine. That was one reason I bought a floor standing drill press rather than a metal working "mill drill" which sits on a stand or a large bench top drill press.
    Sharpening is Facetating.
    Good enough is good enough
    But
    Better is Better.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric Gracka View Post
    To redimension lumber, store-bought or otherwise, would you recommend re-sawing, or the use of a scrub plane?

Thanks
    Eric,

Welcome to the Creek. Your location isn't listed in your profile. If you live in the Portland, Oregon area I would be happy to get together with you about re-sawing lumber or other woodworking endeavors.

My preference is to re-saw if it is much more than a 1/16" in the waste. Most of the time I use a bandsaw to re-saw smaller pieces into two or three pieces.

Going the wide dimension by hand is possible. It is best to have a saw that is sharp and tracks well.

For making small 1X or 2X (?/4) out of bigger stock it is easier for me to do by hand if the piece is longer than a few feet.

jtk
    Last edited by Jim Koepke; 04-07-2014 at 3:08 AM. Reason: wording
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Hi
    Up to 1/2" of of 2x6 or 2x8 pine.

Thanks

Hi
    On one project I want to remove 1/8" of off both sides of 2x6's and 2x8's. The material is 8' pine. If I use a scrub plane, I intend to smooth with a #5 and true with a #6.

Thanks

I'll change the profile. I live in Carp, Ontario Canada.

I resaw all the time, from 1/16" to any larger dimension. Having a quality blade is key.

What type of rip saw & how many RPI?
    Eric Gracka

1/8 inch is only a few passes of a scrub. I think that would be less effort than trying to re-saw by hand. If you have a lot of these boards, though, it'd probably be worth finding someone with a power planer...

Note that some species of Pine have very hard annular rings adjacent to very soft early growth.
    This can be very hard on planes that are less than sharp and/or set to take a deep cut.

Scrubbing across Pine like this may be tough sledding.

Blog Entries
    What type of rip saw & how many RPI?
    This will be something that will vary with each user. My preference for long rips is a 6ppi D8 with 9º of rake. One of my saws was filed to 4ppi. It really didn't save that much time and was a bit harder to use. On one aggressive cut the blade caught on a small knot or something, buckled and snapped.

1/8 inch is only a few passes of a scrub. I think that would be less effort than trying to re-saw by hand.
    If it was a small piece, tackling it by hand wouldn't be a problem. Though most of the time my bandsaw is used.

Most of the time my decision isn't made by the need for efficiency as much as it is by the cost of wood. It is likely a problem I share with others having boxes of little pieces of wood all around the shop. Then the grandkids come visit and have enough fun playing with some of the scraps and that makes it all worth while.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Hi
    Up to 1/2" of of 2x6 or 2x8 pine.

Thanks
    Eric, What is the end product? A table top? Aprons? From what I understand, you don't care about the wood you remove (can all be planed away as opposed to resaw). 1/2" on a 2"x8"- 8 foot board is a lot of wood. Do you need the piece to be 1" specifically? (that's what a 2x8 will end up after you take 1/2" - Texas math, don't ask). Why not just S4S it by hand (scrub, jack, jointer if all needed), figure out what the dimension ends up being and work around that.

/p

[QUOTE=Jim Koepke;2251632]This will be something that will vary with each user. My preference for long rips is a 6ppi D8 with 9º of rake.
    Jim,

I have a D-8 that I am going to turn in to something. It is a 6ppi rip that is missing a handle. I work mostly with walnut and cherry for hardwoods with occasional oak and maple. I also use douglas fir and ponderosa (yellow) pine. Just curious what type of wood the 9 deg rake is used for, or if it would be fairly generic. I recently tried ripping some osage with a 5ppi rip. Not a good idea. I also have a 7ppi Simonds that has yet to be sharpened.