Thread: Could use a little help with pricing your turnings

Could use a little help with pricing your turnings

Hello I am new to this site and I am enjoying reading and seeing the different turnings. I have been turning bowls for many years and most of them have been given out as wedding, birthday, Christmas or maybe just because presents. Just started doing some segmented turnings last year and really enjoy seeing how they turnout. I enjoy laminating different woods just to see the outcome and the natural beauty of the wood. My Better Half keeps confiscating different ones as they are done(never to many). Last winter I turned quite a few and now I am hearing I more or less give them away. I sold 11 and 12x4 segmented bowls for $50 to $60. Then I donated a bowl to two different Benefit auctions and they each brought $200. I have never been to a wood turning or art show to see just how prices are. I would love any comments or suggestions on pricing what you would sell any of these for. Thank you.
    1013608_516376971751616_486735932_n.jpg1010267_516376491751664_8141043_n.jpg1151023_530816703640976_1187128066_n.jpg1146601_530816696974310_697375087_n.jpg
    Last edited by roger wagner; 04-06-2014 at 9:51 PM.

As a rule of thumb I price utility bowls at $5 per inch of diameter. Real plane wood and simple bowls a bit cheaper and great looking wood goes for more. I can't help you with segmented work pricing. I think that price is different in different areas of the country and is different at craft shows vs art galleries. You best bet might be to look around and see what other turners are asking for their work in your area.

Thank you Paul.

Paul has been helpful. The problems for pricing are: location, skill of turner in design, turning ability and finishing ability. Your bowls are colorful, but not too intricate for segmentations. An auction is not a good barometer, as people are giving to charity, and are willing to pay more & get a product too. Where will you sell? Best advice: put prices on them & if they do not sell, lower them. I suspect you are trying to regain the $$ you spent, not to make a living. I like your laminated square platter in picture 2. Has a contemporary arty look. Go to etsy, and look for work like yours and check prices. They may be accurate, they may not. Depends if they sell. Remember you can ask for any price, what people value them at, to buy is another kettle of fish. But most important. Turn, enjoy and have fun.
    Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning, the devil says, "oh crap she's up!"

Tolerance is giving every other human being every right that you claim for yourself.

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts are gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts will happen to man. All things are connected. " Chief Seattle Duwamish Tribe

Thank you Michelle, I did check out Etsy and yes prices are all over the place. For a 12x4 segmented bowl $30 to $300. At some of those prices I wonder why they are even trying to sell them. Its like, here is my bowl and I will pay you to take it.lol Yes it is just a hobby and no not trying to get rich just to help a little with the supplies and electric bill.lol If they do not sell I know what my family is getting for Christmas.lol Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by roger wagner View Post
    Thank you Michelle, I did check out Etsy and yes prices are all over the place. For a 12x4 segmented bowl $30 to $300. At some of those prices I wonder why they are even trying to sell them. Its like, here is my bowl and I will pay you to take it.lol Yes it is just a hobby and no not trying to get rich just to help a little with the supplies and electric bill.lol If they do not sell I know what my family is getting for Christmas.lol Thanks again.
    What matters with Etsy, just like auction sites, is what they are actually selling for.
    Check their feedback reviews on Etsy, see if they have sold any.
    Quando Omni Flunkus - Moritatem!

That beautiful piece on the right looks like one large bill to me. All nice bowls and great finishes.

Selling price depends on a host of factors; geography (=economic health/disposable income available), venue (craft show, consignment, gallery), competition... Recommend you not pay a lot of attention to Etsy prices, it seems to be pretty much a race to the bottom on price there.

You can either try to sell what you like to make, e.g. segmented bowls, or try to make what the customers want... for the latter, it means having a few of a lot of different types of items for sale. Also depending on your market, art pieces vs. utility pieces. Finally, consider "hours invested in making the piece vs. selling price". In general, the customer doesn't really care how long it took to make the piece, for them, it is only a matter of do they like it or not.