Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Elm Crotch

Elm Crotch

This is one of those weed trees that send off about 1000 seedlings every year (Chinese elm, Siberian elm?). I trimmed some large branches last fall and roughed this platter / shallow bowl. Just got it finished and thought the wood was pretty.

IMG_3804.jpgIMG_3805.jpg

About 6-1/2" x 7/8" Just Watco DO so far.
    "Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig." Robert Heinlein

"[H]e had at home a lathe, and amused himself by turning napkin rings, with which he filled up his house, with the jealousy of an artist and the egotism of a bourgeois."
    Gustave Flaubert, Madame Bovary

2. I like the grain in that as well, Doug........that will be a looker when you get it finished!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

I agree, Doug. I think its pretty too. Let's hope that tree gives you plenty more branches to make more pretty bowls with.
    Be Blessed

George

Quote Originally Posted by George Conklin View Post
    I agree, Doug. I think its pretty too. Let's hope that tree gives you plenty more branches to make more pretty bowls with.
    The whole thing will be coming down eventually. It's in the corner of a parking lot and ruining my asphalt. I'll probably give some of the wood away rather than try to turn the whole tree myself.
    "Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig." Robert Heinlein

"[H]e had at home a lathe, and amused himself by turning napkin rings, with which he filled up his house, with the jealousy of an artist and the egotism of a bourgeois."
    Gustave Flaubert, Madame Bovary

good stuff Doug, thanks for sharing

That looks great Doug.
    Do or do not, there is no try.

The elm can have some pretty wood with the dark heart and light sap wood. The grain is pretty big, but enough sanding and multiple coats of oil worked to give a nice finish. I would consider wet sanding with oil to fill the pores except for the light/dark and the fine dust changes the color. I picked up a bed full and mostly green turned the bowls, but did finish a few. Enjoy the wood.

Stunning--just stunning.

the wood is wonderful. pretty platter
    Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning, the devil says, "oh crap she's up!"

Tolerance is giving every other human being every right that you claim for yourself.

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts are gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts will happen to man. All things are connected. " Chief Seattle Duwamish Tribe

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Herzberg View Post
    The whole thing will be coming down eventually. It's in the corner of a parking lot and ruining my asphalt. I'll probably give some of the wood away rather than try to turn the whole tree myself.
    let me know when its coming down. give me a reason to go down to the springs.

Beautiful wood! Nice form,well done!

I agree with Allen Thunem. Let me know when it comes down, I go to the Springs all the time. I'm also in Littleton.
    Scott

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Snyder View Post
    I agree with Allen Thunem. Let me know when it comes down, I go to the Springs all the time. I'm also in Littleton.
    Scott
    You're on. I'll plan a tree day.

looking forward to it

Quote Originally Posted by allen thunem View Post
    looking forward to it
    PM sent. Anyone else wants in, send me a PM.