Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Planer and Jointer purchase

New Planer and Jointer purchase

I wonder if anyone out there has any last bits of advice, words of encouragement, or other useful comments before I pull the trigger on a new jointer and planer. After several months of research (while I built my new shop) I have settled on the general international 15 inch planer (model 30-125HC) and the general int. 8 inch parallelogram jointer (model 80-225 HC m1). see http://www.general.ca/promo/Flyer-promo-wood_ENG.pdf. Both have helical (magnum) cutterheads. The magnum cutterhead is rather unique (fewer inserts), but is rated (at least by some) on par or better than the Byrd. I also considered the felder 500 series jointer planer (too pricey), the Hammer A3-41 (nice machine, but I ultimately decided I am the type of person who would get frustrated with changeovers), and separates from powermatic and grizzly. The general init machines cost a little more than the equivalent capacity machines from powermatic and more than larger capacity (e.g., 12 jointer , 20 inch planer) from grizzly, but the following factors have won me over:

1) Quality control: General International claims to inspect every unit before it leaves the assembly plant in taiwan. My previous jointer was a grizzly 8 inch parallelogram machine, and even though it served me very more many years, I still remember how the base on the first unit they sent me was so twisted that it had to be sent back.
    2) 3 hp motor on the jointer (powermatic is 2 hp)
    3) handwheels rather than levers for in-feed and out-feed table height adjustments on the jointer.
    4) the general international jointer, like the powermatic, has rack and pinion fence positioning system. The grizzly 8 and 12 inch parallelograms jointers do not.

Bob, I had those sort of machines (General jointer and planer) and I sold them to buy a Hammer A3-31 jointer/planer.

Before you spend that amount of money, have a look at the 12 inch J/P combination machines from Hammer or MiniMax.

Regards, Rod.

I don't have experience with those machines, but i completely understand your desire for 2 separate machines. I also could not deal with the changing over for each operation. That said, I personally would get also get frustrated with an 8" jointer- I think I need at least 12".
    Melad StudioWorks
    North Brookfield, MA

+1 for the Hammer A3-31. Minimax looks nice too. Especially now with Hammer's helical cutter head…12" of jointer, the machine has been a game changer. Can't overstate how valuable the 12" jointer has been vs. separate 8" jointer and 13" planer I was working with.

I recently sold my 15" Jet planer and got a 20" PM with a Byrd Shelix head. If you haven't looked into a planer (or jointer for that matter) with a Shelix head, I would highly recomend it. The ease of fixing a nicked blade is so nice and the fact you don't have to spend a lot of time setting blade height is a bonus also.

I have the Grizzly GO609 jointer with Byrd head, and the Grizzly GO453px planer, and like them both. Although now that I have a Hammer tablesaw, maybe I would have considered a combo machine had I ever seen one up close. Lot of space saving, and the quality of the Felder company and Minimax are amazing. I also have a 10 year old MM 16 bandsaw, so am familiar with both companies.

It sounds like you've done your homework and know what you want, and that cost is not a high priority. $3200 for a 15" planer and $3600 for an 8" jointer is a lot of money, when you could buy very similar machines for literally half the price.

My personally opinions (and wallet!) on your notes:
    1). I'd almost guarantee that the machines leave the same factory as the other manufacturers, and probably with he same QC.
    2). Have you ever felt that you had an underpowered motor at 2hp? The spiral head doesn't need as much power either if I remember correctly.
    3). Ok
    4). Ok

That all being said, There's no doubt you'll love these machines, I know I would! Enjoy and post pictures!

At those prices you should at least check out the european jointer / planer combo machines. You never know, you may like it just fine after seeing it in person.

if you have a ton of room, i'd stick with separate machines. i have a combo J/P and I love the machine, but I have a very confined space. If I had a ton of room I'd have separates in a minute.

As for brand, I'd recommend researching and at least seeing a live demo of a European brand (like Minimax, Felder, Hammer). They have amazing quality, precision, and durability. I'm not knocking General Int'l at all, I hear they are excellent machines. All i'm saying is I HIGHLY recommend you at least see, touch, or use a euro brand before you pull the trigger.

I have a J/P combo (Minimax F350) but if I had the room I'd get a dedicated 16" J and a planer. I'd recommend European machines over *almost* all asian ones.

A few years ago I went to the LV woodworking show to see all the combination machines. I came away convinced that separates were the way to go. I am glad that other people like them, but they just didn't make sense to me. It was a while ago, but one thing that sticks in my mind is that the jointer table were just too short.

Yeah, handwheels would be wonderful. My Grizzly has levers and they are a pain.

The machines look great, except for the price. If that is not an issue for them, I am sure you will enjoy them.

Blog Entries
    As others have pointed out, those prices are near double what I would pay for those machines. If you are going to pay those prices, save for a bit and step up to the Euro machine level. MiniMax and Hammer product quality is not amazing for the league they play in. Compared to machines costing less than half the price? Yes, they are amazing. In their price range they are just what they ought to be; very well made, high quality machines.

Marketing and past history allows some makers (the colors grey and mustard come to mind) to charge and receive significantly higher prices for what they are selling. If you have really done your homework, you know of what I speak. Look under the paint, look at reviews on support, long term parts availability and so forth. Consider the total value, not just the reputation or price. Just my two cents and worth about that. . . Good luck with your decision and enjoy your new machines.
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 04-08-2014 at 5:30 PM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    As others have pointed out, those prices are near double what I would pay for those machines. If you are going to pay those prices, save for a bit and step up to the Euro machine level. MiniMax and Hammer product quality is not amazing for the league they play in. Compared to machines costing less than half the price? Yes, they are amazing. In their price range they are just what they ought to be; very well made, high quality machines.

Marketing and past history allows some makers (the colors grey and mustard come to mind) to charge and receive significantly higher prices for what they are selling. If you have really done your homework, you know of what I speak. Look under the paint, look at reviews on support, long term parts availability and so forth. Consider the total value, not just the reputation or price. Just my two cents and worth about that. . . Good luck with your decision and enjoy your new machines.

+1! - as an example look closely at the higher end Grizzly G0495x jointer and you will understand what people are mentioning- its not a coincidence that they look similar or that Laguna's 8" parallelogram jointer looks similar - what you keep? 500-1300 of your hard earned money...

If you have the room, separates are pretty hard to disagree with. not setting and resetting jointer tables takes most of the risk out of the equation. I'm a used guy and not into Asian machines much but Asian stuff can be high end if the QC is good. Also keep in mind that Euro isn't necessarily Euro anymore and can also be Asian with good QC, just finished off in Europe. For the prices you are quoting I'd look for a used 12" jointer, SCMI or SAC ( SAC used to make a 12" for Powermatic ) or American. Older jointers are about as safe a bet as any machine and likely to have tables that are flat. Dave

Thanks for all of the great comments. You've me made me reconsider my purchase--again. Tomorrow I'm looking at a felder 12 inch jp combo (newish ad 531), and jesse at felder will be sending me his best price (I hope) on the hammer 16 inch jp combo (a3-41). I know I will love the felder, but it would be hard to get the felder when I can get the larger hammer for almost $2k less. I've never seen the hammer in person, which is a problem.