Thread: Maple live edge table

Maple live edge table

Hello, I'm fairly new around here, but have been lurking for a while, and replied to a couple other threads.

Here's a table I recently completed that I thought I would share. Most of the wood comes off some land I own. The legs I hewed with axes, and the feet come from some old maples that we tapped as kids. The outer boards were milled from a downed tree using a chainsaw mill and air dried for 3 years... Almost all the rest was done with hand tools. (I did cheat and took the top to a local shop for final flattening with a large sander.)

The only "store bought" wood is the maple inner boards and breadboard ends, and the walnut butterflies. (Which are full thickness, not just inlays...)

Now the wife wants chairs to go with it... The ones we have just don't quite go with it...

2014-03-24_00-00-00_9.jpg

2014-03-24_00-00-00_8.jpg

2014-03-24_00-00-00.jpg

2014-03-24_00-00-00_5.jpg

Hi Tony, I missed this earlier somehow. Very nice project though. The base is super interesting idea. It looks nice. Congratulations. Good luck with the chairs.

Tony,
    I think it's a cool table and the connection to your land makes it even better. Lots of character and a very interesting support structure. I hope it's as solid as it looks. Great job!

Cool table. Looks HEAVY
    -Lud

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Parent View Post
    Now the wife wants chairs to go with it...
    See, now there's the problem with knocking yourself out making a great looking piece of furniture .. It just doesn't end there. Be sure to post the pics of the chairs.

Thanks everyone for the compliments!

I hope it's as solid as it looks

Looks HEAVY
    It is very stable, and heavy! :-) It comes apart so it's not that hard to move around. (But you do have to break it down to move it more then a few feet one way or the other...)

The top splits down the middle length wise, and the base breaks up into the leg/foot assemblies and a stretcher. (Plus several pegs)

Be sure to post the pics of the chairs.
    Will do, but it will be a while. I have several other projects ahead of them in the queue. Including a couple Morris chairs and a tool chest/cabinet of some kind. The queue seems to be getting longer as stuff gets placed in it faster then I can get things built!

It's Bold and Beautiful. Nice.

Oh Yea thats just the cats meow. I'd love a table like that. Would really go nice in a log cabin on a mountain lake some place.
    Great work.
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander