Thread: Clean your cyclone filter - I should have done it earlier

Clean your cyclone filter - I should have done it earlier

there have been several threads on this topic recently, so I thought I should give it a try. I have a 2.5 hp Oneida super gorilla. For the past five years I have checked the pan below the filter once a year and seen only a smattering of wood dust. I hand smacked it a couple of times first , but there seemed so little to be bothered about. The suction still seemed fine. After reading the recent posts, I blew on the side of the filter with my compressor and wiggled the pleats with my fingers, kind of like strumming a guitar. Loosened the top and rotated the filter and did it again. then I undid the bottom pan. It fell out of my hands and made a mess because it was full of fine dust and weighed more than I was suspecting. Hmmm, how about that? the suction has noticeably improved.
    -bernie

I have the older Oneida 2hp commercial cyclone. I routinely take the filter to the self-carwash to clean it, directing the spray downward between the pleats (not through the filter medium). I set it in the sun to dry and when re-installed, the performance is like new. Oneida even recommends cleaning with air or water and I find the water cleaning does a better, faster job.
    Cody

Logmaster LM-1 sawmill, 30 hp Kioti tractor w/ FEL, Stihl 290 chainsaw, 300 bf cap. Solar Kiln

Like Cody, I clean my filter with water, from a garden hose on an annual basis.

A couple of times per year I blow it out from the outside and empty the dust bin.........Rod.

I have a Wynn filter on my 1.5hp Delta. I found that the electric leaf blower does a fantastic job when air is blown from the outside to inside of the filter. Quick also.
    Randy Gazda
    Big Sky Country

I have another dust collector and I've taken to using it to suck on the cyclone filter to clean it. Seems to work well. Before that I had to bang the thing in a trash can and tried both water and compressed air, which were both a lot more work than hooking the filter up to the other dust collector.

The bottom of my Oneida cyclone filter is about 10' off the ground, and taking it down is impractical. So about 3 times a year I take the bottom pan off and get up on a ladder to vacuum out the dust from the inside using my shop vac and a narrow nozzle. It takes 15-20 minutes to clean all the pleats and put the pan back on. I do have to clean the shop vac filter about 3 times during the process.