Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Broken bowl gouge

Yes, Dave will want to see this
    I've chatted with Dave about how his tools are made, and, well, do-do happens and this is not expected.
    Making sawdust mostly, sometimes I get something else, but that is more by accident then design.

Quote Originally Posted by Dale Miner View Post
    ..... I have one tool from d-way, a thin blade parting tool and am happy with it. It was a gift, so not much looking into the horses mouth was done regarding material.
    Dave says that the thin parting tool takes the most steps and wastes off the most metal. Dave's thin tool is slightly thicker at the bottom and slightly thinner at the top, the helps the upper part of the tool not get caught-up in the kerf

The Wife and I are constantly grabbing that parting tool away from each other.
    Making sawdust mostly, sometimes I get something else, but that is more by accident then design.

Brad, Dave heard about your gouge and asked that I contact you. Sent you a PM.

Where is the cutting edge on that thin parting tool? At the bottom? That configuration doesn't compute over here.
    CarveWright Model C
    Stratos Lathe
    Jet 1014
    Half-a-Brain

I had a roughing gouge from Dway that broke off in the handle where a set screw engaged the tool. Dave replaced it very quickly and requested that I send the broken tool to him for inspection. I absolutely love the tool, and I would have purchased another from Dway had Dave not offered to replace it. The replacement tool has performed marvelously, and I won't hesitate to order another of his tools when the time comes.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Underwood View Post
    Where is the cutting edge on that thin parting tool? At the bottom? That configuration doesn't compute over here.
    The thick part is the cutting edge

Quote Originally Posted by Dale Miner View Post
    What you are stating is only a part of the story.

HSS should not be quenched from red or near red heat and above. If grinding the tool makes it too warm to comfortably hold, dipping it in water will not cause microcracks to form. The theory behind the formation of microcracks is that the large temperature gradient that occurs from the rapidly cooled thin edge across the thicker slower to cool body causes the thin edge to shrink more than tne thicker section and the difference in the shrinkage exceeds the ductility of the material and the shrinkage cracks occur. A difference of 100 degrees f between tbe thin edge and the body of the tool will not be sufficient to cause microcracks.

I've chatted with Dave about his tools a bit (we are in the same club and have diner together from time to time)
    The reason you find that hole in the "far" end of the gouge is because they are suspended when they are being heat-treated. Rather then sitting on a rack, or in a basket.
    Dave appears to be concerned that the contact between the tool and the rack/basket/other tools would compromise the quality of the heat-treatment.

I will contact Dave about this. I did love that gouge as it held a great edge. I would not hesitate to order another D-way tool. I have both his skews and they hold a razor sharp edge nicely. I'm sure it was just a bad spot in the steel, which D-way would have no control over.