Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I am amazed at the character and the hard work of the millenials.

There are way more good people in the world, from any generation, than bad. It's just that we tend to notice the bad, or at least have them pointed out to us everyday. You can't ignore the bad, but your day goes much better when you focus on the good.

I really appreciate the recommendation to put in a good word for people who give excellent service. I have only been doing that at one place. I'll do it more now.
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

We are in manufacturing and we have a cross section of employees including the millennials. I am all for promoting positive images, but I am concerned that the parents of the millennials may have underemphasized discipline and tough love in order to (over) build a child's self image.

That's not on the kids.

The problem with kids these days, is their parents.
    My experience with Millenial kids has always been positive.

It's the ones with a tackle box full of hardware in their faces
    that hold the doors open, say Please and Thank you.

It's the jerks my age that make living here such a treat.
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 04-11-2014 at 1:51 PM. Reason: removed implied profanity

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Kent View Post
    I really appreciate the recommendation to put in a good word for people who give excellent service. I have only been doing that at one place. I'll do it more now.
    I try to do that more often. That is why, as has been mentioned, people think the younger generation is going to h*** in a basket. You remember the bad service or the surly kid but how many times have you gotten good, not excellent but good, service and just let it slide as something you took for granted.

I was recently in a doctor's waiting room and overheard the receptionist on the phone with a patient and in reality she was the patient (patient one). I could only hear one end of the conversation but I heard her answer many questions several times. She gave the person directions to the clinic at least 5 times. I think the clincher was when she answered, "No ma'am, we're not upstairs. Suite 110 is on the first floor." She was kind, gave the patient as much time as she needed and never got upset with her. I made sure I said something to the doctor about how nicely she dealt with the patient. It didn't impact me directly but I did notice it. And believe me, I have dealt with some doctor's office staff that were not so nice.

So having said all that, I make an effort to pass on compliments to the boss of employees that try.