Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: LED Base

LED Base

For those of you looking for an LED base to play with, I just found something that looked interesting!

http://www.meritline.com/showproduct...que-decoration

Just ordered a couple and will post my thoughts when they come in... Can't beat testing it for the price.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Bruce Clumpner
    Brandon Services Laser Engraving
    Academy Commemoratives - Personalized Memorabilia for the U.S. Service Academies
    Irvine, CA
    -
    Epilog 75-watt Helix, 40-watt 18-Mini
    Started with Corel Draw V1 now feeling the pain of CorelDraw x7
    CS4 photoshop
    CS4 illustrator
    PhotoGrav

Oh yea, looks like they ship from Hong Kong?! @ $4 each, not sure how they can do that....
    Bruce Clumpner
    Brandon Services Laser Engraving
    Academy Commemoratives - Personalized Memorabilia for the U.S. Service Academies
    Irvine, CA
    -
    Epilog 75-watt Helix, 40-watt 18-Mini
    Started with Corel Draw V1 now feeling the pain of CorelDraw x7
    CS4 photoshop
    CS4 illustrator
    PhotoGrav

Blog Entries
    Bruce,

The only thing that would drive me crazy is the constant color change feature. Doesn't look like there is any way to turn off the color change and just settle on one color?

For some things it would be dandy though. Curious to hear what you think of them.

Dave
    900x600 80watt EFR Tube laser from Liaocheng Ray Fine Tech LTD. Also a 900x600 2.5kw spindle CNC from Ray Fine. And my main tool, a well used and loved Jet 1642 Woodlathe with an outboard toolrest that helps me work from 36 inch diameters down to reallllllly tiny stuff.

That is pretty crazy. I just bought the electrical materials to make my own LED bases (power supply, power cord, receptacle, and switch), and just those materials cost around $7 per base. I'm going to design a plastic shell and 3D print it, but I would guess the final design would COST in the neighborhood of $10 each. That doesn't include retail markup or shipping.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Clumpner View Post
    Oh yea, looks like they ship from Hong Kong?! @ $4 each, not sure how they can do that....
    I took a chance and ordered one myself. $3.93 shipping. Could take a week or so though.. They had expedited shipping 5 - 8 business days for about 5 -6 dollars.. I also agree re. the color changing part of it, but I couldn't find anything cheaper on the market and I have looked as well. I thought about trying to make one myself which my shop is very capable of doing, but like Dan said.. more expensive to make your own..

I don't use my laser has a hobby, it is for the business. My shop sells wholesale only so you can imagine that I need to get parts pretty cheap, and since we are a small shop we can't afford to order thousands of product from china, etc... For one of my workers to make a base would take a minimum of 15 minutes per unit. Not including the materials for the base, led's and power requirements. I found led's online for $2.50 for a small strip. But you still need a power supply or at least a battery case. Wood is cheap but still looking at a minimum of about $5.00.. Then I have to add the labor cost...

I will try to post a pic. of the finished product.. May be a few weeks though...
    Last edited by Mike Troncalli; 04-10-2014 at 8:38 AM.
    Full Spectrum Laser 5th Gen, 45 Watt with Gold Catalyst tube
    Rotary Attachment
    Corel Draw X5
    Complete wood shop.

Blog Entries
    Mike and Bruce!

Thanks for trying these! Look forward to hearing your thoughts on them once you have them in hand!

Dave
    900x600 80watt EFR Tube laser from Liaocheng Ray Fine Tech LTD. Also a 900x600 2.5kw spindle CNC from Ray Fine. And my main tool, a well used and loved Jet 1642 Woodlathe with an outboard toolrest that helps me work from 36 inch diameters down to reallllllly tiny stuff.

My design will be more expensive than I could possibly make them because I want 120 VAC run to the base instead of 6-12 VDC. I don't like wall warts because they are always energized even when the device they are powering isn't. I want to switch the 120 inside the base, then have it run to a small power supply. I am planning on using the LED strips that you can buy in 5 meter lengths for about $15 on eBay. You can get them in any color you want, or you can pay extra and get the color-changing RGB strips.

I thought about it a few days ago and I think I'll try to rout a few bases. I pay less than $15 on the strips, I found them at about $10.89 after haggling in a couple of places around where I live.

I just order 3 of these just to get the free sxh $11.97 total, thought it was a better deal then 1 for 3.99 and 4 sxh
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

I believe these bases are only 4" wide, I am not sure how wide the slot is.

The other Bruce
    Hardware: Chinese Laser
    GWeike C1290 80 watt Reci laser
    Home built CNC, Joe's hybrid 4x4
    12" Delta Bandsaw, Jet Table Saw
    Router table, and more.
    Software: CorelDraw Suite 5x
    PhotoShop 7,

Remember, when you go to 120 volts adding a switch and power supply you really need to think about the UL approval you may or may not have. Its a big deal when something bad happens.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

I agree with Bill : If you stick with the wall-warts, then a lot of the responsibility for safety is lifted from your shoulders.
    Epilog Legend 32EX 60W

Precision Prototypes, Romsey, UK

I could just take the Chinese route and put a UL and CE mark on my base without ever having either tested.

Seriously, these will just be for my own amusement. I don't plan on selling them at this point. If I get the cost down and find a market, I will take safety listing into consideration.

FYI My sons best friend growing up lived in a house that a fire started in the basement office area. Insurance company claimed it started from the non UL listed computer power supply. It took a lawyer and 6 months to get things settled, no they did not get the full claim amount and then had to pay the lawyer. Insurance companies strangely enough do not hand money out just because they are nice people. They look for ways NOT to pay.
    I have been a licensed electrician more years than I care to remember. Using a Listed low voltage power supply takes a big load off your shoulders.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

FWIW, I'm the reason insurance companies don't play claims for those reasons. My day job is as a forensic electrical engineer. I figure out what causes fires for insurance companies and lawyers. That's exactly why I don't like the idea of wall warts being energize 24/7 when they aren't being used.