Thread: New bowl shape for me - comments please

New bowl shape for me - comments please

This is sort of a calabash shape. The wood was in a random "box of blocks" from CSUSA, so I'm not sure what it is, but I think it's just poplar. Finished with the classic shellac/BLO/DNA mixture.

Forgive the cell phone picture.

Comments most welcome!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Nice clean shape, I like it. I am used to poplar having more grain and some variance in color. No other suggestions for wood id though.

The shape looks nice. I think it would be very suitable for some figured or colorful wood; a simple form shows those off very well.

That is a nice bowl. My first thought for wood choice is either Red or Silver Maple.
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

That is a very pleasing shape. I like it a lot, in particular how you handled the rim. I think that is the kind of thing people would like in their home.

The shape is elegantly simple. Very fine. The wood could be better, but then, it's wood. Each piece has its own kind of beauty.
    Grant
    Ottawa ON

Steve,

Very nice shape. Many turners do not realize how difficult this form is to pull off. On your next one, try canting the rim down into the bowl rather than down towards the outside. It will serve to imply a more continuous curve around the outside and will also draw one's eye into the bowl rather than away as the line changes direction.
    John Altberg

Thank you all for your comments. Yeah, the wood isn't terribly interesting, but I didn't want to waste something good on my first attempt. And it is kinda pretty anyway.

Good point on the rim, John. I didn't think that through that far. Very interesting to start thinking about how those fine details change the way someone looks at a piece.

I like it. A very clean pleasing shape. Thanks for sharing.