Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Revealing the Beauty beneath the Bark

Revealing the Beauty beneath the Bark

Hello,

Photos showing some of the things I like to create. Time consuming, however very rewarding. Pepper Mills -- of my design, Coffee Grinders -- org. dez. by David Reed Smith.

They sell well at art shows in selected areas. As well as, fun things to make.

Comments always welcome, Thanks for lQQking.

Bill.>>>>>>>>>
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Bill Stevener; 06-23-2005 at 5:04 PM. Reason: 2 l's in Hello----not 1

Wow! They alll look great. I can see why those are good seller!
    Jeff Sudmeier

"It's not the quality of the tool being used, it's the skills of the craftsman using the tool that really matter. Unfortunately, I don't have high quality in either"

Very nice work, I think they would look great on a granite countertop.
    There are two kinds of people in this world, those who say there are two kinds of people and those who don't

Excellent work Bill!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Talk about a million dollors worth of shine-----Looking good.
    Let me guess the drawer is the tricky part.
    Thanks for sharing.
    ---I may be broke---but we have plenty of wood---

The coffee grinder is not that hard, it's like a bowl in a box. The big thing is to keep your skew reeeeeeeal sharp. A "how to do it" link is posted. As I am sure David would enjoy others trying it. I have e-mailed him in the past, he is quite a master at makeing square wood round.

Enjoy--Bill.>>>>>>>>>>

For some reason I can't get the link to post. Sory, but this is it.

Http://davidreedsmith.com/Articles/CoffeeGrinder/CoffeeGrinder.htm

Well look at that----I just typed it in and hear it is. Some day I will get this comp.thing down. It's a wonder I can get my lathe turned on
    Last edited by Bill Stevener; 06-24-2005 at 12:12 AM. Reason: link & sp

Very, very nice!!!
    Dawn

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Stevener
    It's a wonder I can get my lathe turned on
    From your work, I hardly think that. Beautiful pieces Bill and I can see the time consumption in the pepper mills. Those are great.

Ernie

Simply FANTASTIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If it's not being too nosy, what kind of prices do you get for them.

Bruce

Bill these are great, sure wish I could get a finish and shine like that on my turnings.

Bruce in Saint John, N.B. Canada

Very nice, Bill, may I ask about your finishing schedule? What do you use?, and how do you use it?

Beautiful workmanship!
    Martin, Granbury, TX
    Student of the Shaker style

When I first www-d in to SMC I thought one of the beter parts was how everyone was so helpfull with the show and tell part, so as long as I am not learking in the wings, I best get along with the tell part.

Bruce, I sell at art shows, I find craft shows do not bring the folks around that are looking for the items I have to offer, well just maybe not at the prices. I live in cent. IL. rural to farm. In IL. the better shows are up around Chicago.

My pepper mills start at $200.00 for domestic wood - local and go to $275.00 for exotic woods. The one in the second photo has 12 species of wood and 500+ pcs. That one was raffled at a show and realized $500.00+ At one show, a lady wanted 2, I asked why? She said, her husband loved pepper mills -- sure hope she comes back this year!!!! I do provide a life time guarantee with all of my mills. The older I get, the lesser that is.

Martin, I think one of the most challenging areas in any realm of woodworking - turning is the finish. First off it depends on what you wish to finish.

On my pepper mills and coffee grinders I use a good quality urethane. 1- urethane is a stand-alone sealer. 2- a good urethane contains a UV protector, which helps retard the ageing and the color changing in the wood. I apply five coats. I have found that additional coats do not provide any more protection or inhance the item any further. Letting each coat dry between the next for 24 hrs, and sanding with 600 g. not to remove the previous coat, but just to provide a surface for the next. Clean the surface with min. spts. just before the next coat. Now for the part that is the hardest to master. 1- I only use a fome applacator. I buy them in wally world a bag full of various sizes for $1.00 and cut them up in to 1" sizes. I do not use a brush, because a brush will induce air into the urethane. Do not dip in to the can, I place a small amount in a small glass jar, just enough for completing several mills. Use a new jar the next time-- scum, slag and contamination will ruin everything. 2- Now dip the applicator in to the urethane, lay it on your project, and with one continueious (what ever) motion - non stop, lightly coat the entire project. The major objective is to not induce air in to the urethane. Don't go back, reaplying the applicator, it will only induce air. Then throw away the applicator! My photos really do not do justice to the finish. If you try this, and with some practice, you will see everything the wood can give, and look right through it. One last thing, I do not use any stains, let the wood show what it has to offer.

Hope this helps some

Bill..>>>>>>>>>>

Bill: SPECTACULAR!

Very beautiful Bill. You sure know how to provide inspiration!!!
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

Thanks for your generous sharing, Bill.
    What you do today determines what you can do tomorrow.