Thread: American Chestnut Vase - Thanks Sparky!!

American Chestnut Vase - Thanks Sparky!!

Well, I never said I was fast at turning a piece of wood someone generously offers...but I do make a conscious effort, as I think that's part of what someone hopes for when gifting wood to another turner.
    So this piece goes back to November of 2012 http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...light=chestnut when Sparky offered these pieces, and I was lucky enough to get in line for one. I actually roughed the outside of this piece about a year ago, then wrapped it and set aside 'to be continued'. Well, I continued about a month ago and just got around to final sanding/finish this past week. It's definitely special to me, and will stay in my personal collection. It's like the grain tells a story with the natural variation in color. Thanks again Sparky!
    9" tall and 5" across, finished with a single coat of antique oil, and hand buffed. C&C welcome and appreciated.
    chestnut vase _front 1K.jpgchestnut vase_angle_1K.jpg
    Laugh at least once daily, even if at yourself!

2. Tim, good looking vase, very elegant and well formed and interesting and pleasing wood grain.

Hey Tim,

You did that beautiful wood justice. Very nice shape and finish.

-Tony

Well done. The form and grain go well together. Hard to come by wood that nice.

very nice.....wood is not avalaible.....good form......good place in your private collection......at one time I had a 12' x 8" x 8" piece of chestnut that I traded for in southwest Virginia.....I moved from sw va to Winston-Salem to boone to Miami- then to home over a period of years 70's to 80's.....I then gave it to my uncle for a mantle where it still resides.....I had it on cinder blocks in my living room as furniture.....needless to say at that point I was single and not a woodturner .......I like the form and 9" deep is difficult

Very nice, the wood grain follows the shape of that piece VERY well! I don't think it could have looked any better.

Tim I like everything about this one the form especially, the colour and grain are superb.
    neil

The wooden Potter

I like the grain on the wood. Nicely turned. There was a lot of sanding involved. Very well done.

Think I am going to add these pictures to my 'Inspiration' image library. Very nice.

Looks Great Tim! You are welcome!
    Sparky Paessler

Thanks everyone for the positive response. Special thanks again Sparky!
    Laugh at least once daily, even if at yourself!