Thread: Oneway Spindle Steady Clamp Block Question

Question Oneway Spindle Steady Clamp Block Question

Hi all,

I recently purchased a Oneway Spindle Steady & Bowl steady combo off Craigslist. The clamp block, however, is for a Nova DVR 3000, which has a 2" bed gap. I have a Jet 1642 with a 1 3/4" bed gap.

Would I be better off simply buying a new clamp block for $18 + shipping from Woodcraft or would it be reasonable to try to file 1/8" from each side of the clamp block? I have a bench vise and a file, but not a Dremel.

Noah

It depends on how much you think a 1/4" filing is going to be worth. To me it ain't worth $18.00. I would buy the new one. If you had a grinder that would be different.
    Comments and Constructive Criticism Welcome

Haste in every craft or business brings failures. Herodotus,450 B.C.

I haven't seen the parts but here is an idea that might work;

Turn the clamp block over, and cut a piece of hard maple or other hard wood to create the shoulder on the now new top of the block. Epoxy the wood to the metal.

I like Dales' idea. :-)

I have the bowl steady from Oneway, and if it came down to filing our buying another clamp block, I'm buy another clamp block. That is a lot of metal to file away and my time and swear words are worth more than $18.
    Grant
    Ottawa ON

Quote Originally Posted by Grant Wilkinson View Post
    I like Dales' idea. :-)

I have the bowl steady from Oneway, and if it came down to filing our buying another clamp block, I'm buy another clamp block. That is a lot of metal to file away and my time and swear words are worth more than $18.
    A file capable of doing the job in a reasonable time and effort would be an expense also, and would be not have as much life left in it (less sharp) afterwards.

I used my grinder to make a similar adjustment.
    John Altberg

Thanks everyone--I think I'm going to go ahead and order the other clamp block. :-)

I’d use a hacksaw, 1/8” is wide enough to saw and would not take that long to do, just use the file to clean up and de-burr the edges.
    Have fun and take care

Quote Originally Posted by Leo Van Der Loo View Post
    I’d use a hacksaw, 1/8” is wide enough to saw and would not take that long to do, just use the file to clean up and de-burr the edges.
    Would be tough as you would have to cut down about 1/2 way, then cut in again from side. The block is kinda "t" shaped.

The ways for the DVR-3000 and DVR-XP are slightly different. The DVR-XP is a couple mills smaller across. Which means that accessories for the new XP will fit the 3000 but not visa-versa. I had a friend mill down the DVR-3000 block to fit my XP
    Making sawdust mostly, sometimes I get something else, but that is more by accident then design.

This is the clamp block,
    clamp block.jpg

To saw the parts of is quite easy IMO, you hold the block in the vice and first saw the slice and then reposition the block in the vice and cut at 90 degrees to the previous cut and then clean up the raw edges, the other side next as before, done similar work in a previous life, not hard at all 1thumb.gif

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Lindberg View Post
    Would be tough as you would have to cut down about 1/2 way, then cut in again from side. The block is kinda "t" shaped.

The ways for the DVR-3000 and DVR-XP are slightly different. The DVR-XP is a couple mills smaller across. Which means that accessories for the new XP will fit the 3000 but not visa-versa. I had a friend mill down the DVR-3000 block to fit my XP
    Have fun and take care

Actually I cut a piece of dogwood of the right size and predrilled it for a 3/8" lagscrew. Has held for 10 years.