Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best Taper Leg Jig

Best Taper Leg Jig

I am looking for a really good taper leg jig. I made one but it`s just not accurate enough for me to do repeatable cuts. I have been looking at the Rockler jig as well as the Micro Line jig. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

I've found the homemade version far superior to the manufactured jig I had bought. The problem with the production jigs is that they were pretty light duty and too short to safely do a longer leg. By making my own I solved both problems. I believe the plan came from Wood magazine.
    Wood'N'Scout

Steve,

Any pix or guidance?

I like the one Alan Turner makes at FWW.com. It's quick and easy.

Nelson

I live in the south but I'm from the north.
    I agree with the rest here. Shop built will be your best plan.

I make mine to just do the project I'm working on at the time. Made to run against the fence with a stop to push the stock through the blade. I also try to build it so the stock lays on the fixture. This aids in safety and accuracy.

S.E. Tennessee ... just a bit North of Chattanooga
    Charles Neil has a free plan for a very nice one ...

Blog Entries
    I just watched Ask This Old House and Tommy was showing how to make a tall table with tapered legs and he made a jig for cutting the legs that was very simple and effective.
    Last edited by Lee Schierer; 04-14-2014 at 2:02 PM.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

This one's 36". I prefer using a miter slot instead of fence. You wont need T-track, slots work too. 2 hours should do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Nelson Howe View Post
    I like the one Alan Turner makes at FWW.com. It's quick and easy.

Nelson
    I second this, I have one just like it.
    http://www.finewoodworking.com/works...ering-jig.aspx
    -Dan

I agree with all about making your own, I think you can make one that will do all you need.

This is the one I made and once set up I can repeat the cuts with no problem. It slides on the fence and not in the miter slot, that way I can have much wider boards when I need it.
    This is a link to more images. http://www.pbase.com/wlhuber/taper

111630807.NsoMCsCN.P5205353.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Mark W Pugh View Post
    Steve,

Any pix or guidance?
    It's almost identical to the Fine Woodworking link provided. The only difference is I used a purchased clamp instead of making my own.
    Wood'N'Scout

I too have built and used several times the Allan Turner jig from FWW. It's consistent repeatability makes it one of the better models.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Huber View Post
    I agree with all about making your own, I think you can make one that will do all you need.

This is the one I made and once set up I can repeat the cuts with no problem. It slides on the fence and not in the miter slot, that way I can have much wider boards when I need it.

I made one very similar to this from scraps around the shop and it works like a charm. I have used a couple different designs over the the years and this one has been the best for me in terms of safety, adjustibility and repeatability.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Huber View Post

In addition to table legs, a jig like that works for getting a straight edge on rough stock, tapers on sheet goods and lots of useful functions.

Bill, I'm curious about this jig. Does it work well for thick, narrow stock, like table legs? Also, how does it fare on tapers that are on 2 sides of the leg? I only ask because I currently taper on the bandsaw, and then smooth on the jointer. While it's controllable, I would prefer a safer method...