Thread: Penn State Tempest 2.5 S Cyclone

Penn State Tempest 2.5 S Cyclone

Hello,
    I'm looking at the PSI 2.5 S Tempest Cyclone and wondering if anyone has experience with it. My shop is small and no long runs but I do have a drum sander. My previous shop had a oneida V3000 but that is almost twice the price once all is done. Bill at PSI knows his stuff and it has 5 years of coverage on it..I appreciate any feedback..

thx
    Ken

Blog Entries
    I was ready to pull the plug and buy the same 2.5 hp PSI DC, but when I called and started asking hard questions about cyclone steel thickness, fan curves and the like, I felt as though they weren't totally forthcoming so I went with the Oneida 2 hp SDG. Maybe I caught someone on a bad day. BTW, you will find most discussions on DC over in the workshop forum.
    NOW you tell me...

Ok...good to know...thx

I have a Tempest 3HP cyclone bought in 2005. Works well, but customer service was PITA then. I saved about 20% and would gladly pay more to have decent (better) response.

Thanks Dave for the input...appreciate it..

I have the Griz 0440 2hp and it has worked perfectly for 8+ yrs. Checked out the new catalogue and the price is ~40% higher now. Still a good value IMHO.

Go with the Oneida. It may be more money but it is worth more. Made in the USA to boot. I worked in a shop that had a tempest and the owners and us always thought that it under performed, I have a comparable Oneida now and it works 10x better than the tempest.

I have a 3.5 Tempest S. It works very well indeed. PSI were utterly useless at the time of order, their "free duct design service" was a complete waste of time. It took 3 or 4 goes to get the designer to understand what I wanted (rather than what he wanted) and then the bill for the ductwork was more than the cyclone! I bought the cyclone from them (best bang/buck ratio), and then bought the spiral from a local spiral manufacturer, who could not have been more helpful.

I'd buy the cyclone again, but only as a box-shifting type purchase.

Thanks everyone for the comments.....