Quote Originally Posted by Brian Elfert View Post
I'm not a super social person, but I couldn't imagine living out in the boonies where you might not see another person for days or weeks. The outhouse I could do without. When I go up to the Boy Scout summer camp to help I will generally not use the latrines and instead walk to one of several places with a flush toilet. Most of the time when I am up at camp helping out I stay in a beautiful log cabin with kitchen, full bathroom, and central heat/air conditioning. (Really roughing it.)

I am trying to downsize my living situation. I just sold my 2,650 square foot house and am looking for a smaller house.
When I went to Boy Scout Camp with my sons I slept in a tent and cooked outside; that was fine. But I absolutely refused to use the latrines and would walk any distance to find a flush toilet. 30 years ago I didn't care all that much, but not now.

I also downsized from 2,900sf to 2,400sf. Of course, the new place cost 4x as much as the old; so I am not sure downsizing is the right word. (5 flush toilets).

But back to the OP; if your friend didn't have a well, what does he do for water?