Thread: Creeker Gathering...

Creeker Gathering...

Last night, Mr. Anderson, Mr. Myers and I showed up at Mr. Turner's lovely home to share a meal and shoot the...well, we did try out the shooting board in the shop... After a most-excellent meal, we did the "furniture tour" and then retired downstairs to the heart of Alan's lair to fondle tools. I will admit I was feeling a little "Neander pressure" with that crowd!! The two New Englanders were in the area for a period furniture event near Lancaster PA.

Now...I have to say that in no way do Alan's excellent pictures of that beautiful Newport Kneehole Desk do full justice to the workmanship and quality it exudes. It's really jaw-dropping when you can actually touch it and see the details of the carvings as well as discover how "slinky" the drawers are when you move them. Totally awe inspiring!!

Anyway, here's a couple pictures to prove we all do exist and did exist in the same place at the same time...an no, we were no longer hungry at these points!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Sounds like a great time Jim! If that desk is even better than the pictures show, man it truely is a masterpeice!
    Jeff Sudmeier

"It's not the quality of the tool being used, it's the skills of the craftsman using the tool that really matter. Unfortunately, I don't have high quality in either"

I'm envious! While I like living in the remotes...it'd be nice to be close enough to other Creekers to see some other shops and get some on site advice!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

So that's what the bottom half of your face looks like

Your comments about seeing Alan's kneehole desk up close and personal don't surprise me. That's one of the many differences between a woodworker of my caliber versus Alan's: my pieces will never appear better than they do in pictures, and the fuzzier the better!

PS: I'm pleased to see that the shop picture contained David's hallmark wine glasses.
    Marc

Marc, the lesson to learn from Alan's Newport project is that you don't get there without trying something new in each project...like carving in this example. That apparently wasn't something endemic to Alan's work prior to this project...and I must say, his virgin voyage into that realm is incredible. Much talent in that man...
    --

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker
    Anyway, here's a couple pictures to prove we all do exist and did exist in the same place at the same time...an no, we were no longer hungry at these points!
    Looks like a great time, what with all those SawmillCreek moderators..
    _Aaron_
    SawmillCreek Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Koehl
    Looks like a great time, what with all those SawmillCreek moderators..
    And we were enjoying certain things in moderation, too...
    --

Jim, Dave, and Roger,
    Thanks for coming by. Both my bride and I enjoyed the good company, and a bit of the grape. Jim and Dave I had met before, and it was a treat to get to know Roger as well. A wonderful evening. And no, by thte time we hit the shop, the power tools were off limits. The shooting board seemed safe enough, however.
    Alan Turner
    Philadelphia Furniture Workshop

Looks like good company to me.
    I could cry for the time I've wasted, but thats a waste of time and tears.

Thanks for sharing guys.......

Nice time - no doubt!!

Hey.........I'll be in Burlington VT in August---------who can I visit!!

Jim,
    I'd be really careful in that crowd if I were you! Before long we'll be seeing you on the Neander side and you'll be posting about your new #9 mitre plane. After all I know how much influence Mr. Anderson can have...since I blame him for my precipitous slide down the slope!

Mark

Yes, you name did come up in conversation, Mark... ...you are apparently a cherished "conquest"...
    --

Looks like a good time was had by all! Wish we had some SMC gatherings around our parts I bet it was impressive to say the least to see the Newport Desk. I would love to see it in person. Thanks for posting the pics Jim!

Kind Regards,
    John
    Woodworking:
    "It's not just a hobby, it's an adventure."

What a treat to get to visit with Alan and his wife, and Jim!! Just got back from the SAPFM summer conference. Hilight of the trip was seeing some great period furniture including Alans masterpiece!!!!!! Jim is right...pics do not do it justice. What a great meal we had and the conversation and chatter was terrific....
    More later....this kid is fried from a long day driving!
    Thanks Alan!

I'm finally checking in...

Truly a wonderful evening!!!! I will however reiterate the standard complaint I have with all of the SMC get togethers I've been to-- not enough time. It just seems like someone set the clock on fast forward and you've only had 10 minutes with folks.

Alan and Paige prepared a great dinner for the four of us including the first fresh asparagus I've had this year. The company was most gracious, the wine was good, and the conversation was even better. I agree with Jim and Roger, pictures don't do justice to the kneehole desk. It was really nice to view it from different angles, open drawers and the middle compartment, and generally detail inspect the whole fine piece of work. I still have real trouble believing that this was Alan's first carved piece. He carried it out extremely well.

Thank you again Alan and Paige.
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH