Thread: Bosch Compound Miter saw (CM12) & Segmented turning

Bosch Compound Miter saw (CM12) & Segmented turning

I've been turning for about 3 years now in my spare time (still working full time). I would like to get into segmented turning. One of the guys in our club is going to give lessons. He says we can build a sled for our table saw or we can use a miter saw either one. I've been looking at the Bosch CM12 Compound Miter saw. This saw was rated very high in one of the woodworking magazines. My question is "Will this be a good saw for sawing segments or do I need a Compound Sliding Miter saw?". The Sliding version of the saw ups the cost quite a bit. Thanks, James

I have only made one segmented bowl - so far.

I cut the segments on my table saw. I have seen videos where people cut the segments on a mitre saw. Fixed vs slider affects the cross cut capacity. A 12in fixed saw may have almost as much cross cut capacity as a 10in slider. It depends on the design.

So think about the dimensions of the rings you want to make, then the height and depth of the segments. I expect a fixed 12in saw may be able to meet your needs.

I glued my ring segments into half circles then checked for fit. I found I needed to tweak the half circles to get a perfect fit. It does not take much for a 12 segment ring to have some issues with fit needing to be corrected by sanding.

Malcolm Tibbetts has an online segmented club http://www.tahoeturner.com/faqs.html
    check out the FAQ.

4. Quote Originally Posted by James Adams 1943 View Post
    I've been turning for about 3 years now in my spare time (still working full time). I would like to get into segmented turning. One of the guys in our club is going to give lessons. He says we can build a sled for our table saw or we can use a miter saw either one. I've been looking at the Bosch CM12 Compound Miter saw. This saw was rated very high in one of the woodworking magazines. My question is "Will this be a good saw for sawing segments or do I need a Compound Sliding Miter saw?". The Sliding version of the saw ups the cost quite a bit. Thanks, James
    I have that same saw....I think, mine is a sliding compound miter and mine has a laser on it, and it really is an accurate saw. I think the key to doing segment cutting on it is to get a hold down similar to the ones Malcolm Tibbets uses on miter saw cuts for his segments.........the issue is not the saw, but keeping your fingers away from that blade, especially on smaller segments. The saw's ability is just fine and accurate enough...........the finger thing.........yeah, you want to take really good care of those! Small segments can slip, so you need the hold down .........I would encourage you to get Malcolm's book or DVD for beginners........it will show you how he does it.

The table saw sled..........that is also a good option, as well. I have not gotten into segmenting yet, but have watched his DVD's and have his book, as well as Ray Key's.............just keep those fingers away from the blade!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

James, I use an older Bosch sliding compound miter saw. Mine works fine, and I see no reason why that one wouldn't work for you.
    For cutting segments I make a zero clearance base and back. Works great.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Please see personal profile for website info.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by John Beaver View Post
    James, I use an older Bosch sliding compound miter saw. Mine works fine, and I see no reason why that one wouldn't work for you.
    For cutting segments I make a zero clearance base and back. Works great.
    Dave, Dwight, Roger and John, I appreciate all of the info that you've passed along. I did visit the Malcolm Tibbits site and he makes some amazing stuff. I gather from your replies that it may be safer to use the table saw then to use the miter saw. I did not see the device that Malcolm uses to hold his small pieces. The guy that will be showing me how to do segmented turning started out using a table saw, but said that it was hard on his back bending over. He moved to a miter and it requires a lot less bending over. I did buy the book on Ray Key. Also some amazing stuff.

James, while I have not done a lot of segmented turnings, I prefer using a sled on my tablesaw. Once I get the angles right on, I can fasten the fence down permantently. I have thought about using a miter saw, but it would have to be dedicated to that one purpose. But, don't let me dissuade from buying a new tool.
    Joe

Quote Originally Posted by James Adams 1943 View Post
    I've used this sled on my table saw since 2008 and love it .... once in a great while a particular segment requires using the miter saw but I really prefer the sled.

Incra MITER5000 Miter 5000 Table Saw Miter Gauge with Sled and Telescoping Fence

Tim

you can use any saw you choose. Years ago I used my arm powered miterbox.. It did great work. the requirements are , good sharp blade that does not wobble, and is plum vertically. then the saw needs to hold the angle you set. Do not trust the "clicks" on the saw. Get a good digital protractor or the like. then go have fun.
    Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning, the devil says, "oh crap she's up!"

Tolerance is giving every other human being every right that you claim for yourself.

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts are gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts will happen to man. All things are connected. " Chief Seattle Duwamish Tribe

James, If you were to take a poll you would probably find a pretty even split of table saw users and miter saw users. I find the miter saw easier and faster.

I recommend purchasing Malcolm's book "the Art of Segmented Woodturning" or his videos. They are immensely helpful.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Please see personal profile for website info.

James: I use my table saw, but your question was a choice between a compound miter saw and a sliding compound miter saw. Within those two choices, I would suggest that the non-slider would suit your purposes very well. It's very likey that you won't need the added width cutting capability of a compound saw to cut segments. They would be very large segments to need a slider. As you say in your original post, the slider adds quite a bit of cost to the equation, too.
    Grant
    Ottawa ON