Thread: Rip Capacity Question

Rip Capacity Question

I currently have an old Craftsman TS with a Vega Pro fence with 52" rip capacity but I just bough a Grizzly G1023SL off craigslist. The new saw has the standard rails and I am wondering if I should buy the longer rails for it. I have the room for it in the garage and I usually move the saw outside to cut anyway. Right now the only time I use the extra capacity is crosscutting long pieces, usually Face frame pieces and cabinet sides, bottoms, nailers etc. I use a crosscut sled and a spacer block clamped to the fence to get very easily repeatable cuts and I feel I would definitely miss that. Any thoughts?

Why buy a new fence? Why not just swap the two fences you have? There's nothing wrong with a Vega pro.

Blog Entries
    I assume he wants to keep the C-man as is otherwise, I too would just put the Vego on the 1023(?).
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I like the Vega Fence for the most part but since I usually roll the saw outside to cut (garage shop no dust collection) I was thinking of building a fold-down outfeed table and the Vega would interfere with that.

How would the Vega interfere? You should be able to do a folder with some standoff.
    It came to pass...
    "Curiosity is the ultimate power tool." - Roy Underhill
    The road IS the destination.

The G1023SL is a left tilt saw, so you're not likely to ever need any rip capacity on the left side of hte blade. Have you considered sliding the stock rails more to the right....you can easily gain about 10" capacity.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....